God’s Spirit Makes
Simple People Into Overcomers
WHEN THE HOLY SPIRIT MAKES US STRONG IN OUR SPIRITS TO PRAY, WE’RE ON OUR WAY TO BECOMING OVERCOMERS.
DAY 1—Jesus used the story of a helpless widow to teach about praying.
Lk 18:3-7 And there was a widow in that city; and she came unto him, saving, Avenge me of mine adversary. And he would not for a while: but afterward he said within himself, Though I fear not God, nor regard man; yet because this widow troubleth me, I will avenge her; lest by her continual coming she weary me. And the Lord said, Hear what the unjust judge saith. And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them?
· FATHER, some things have come upon me to make me feel my spiritual poverty. I’m at the point of not knowing what to pray, or how to pray. But, the problems upon me and my family demand that I keep on praying. Please help me to know that my coming to You in prayer is not in vain.
It is faith, not a lack of it, that will cause us to keep bringing our petitions before The Lord—Mt 15:22-28
DAY 2—As our weakness increases, the Holy Spirit’s help can become greater.
Rom 8:26a Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought... Heb 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
· LORD, thank You for helping me in my weakness. I can see that the infirmity of my own spirit is an open door for You. Please enter and bring Your strengths into my life. I am ready to glory in my weekness. Because of it I am finding Your power.
Here we have Paul’s testimony—II Cor 12:8-11
DAY 3—God’s Spirit comes inside us to pray.
Gal 4:6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father. Rom 8:16, 26b The Spirit Himself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God (born into His family)... but the Spirit Himself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
· ABBA, FATHER, thank You for sending Your Spirit to bear witness with my spirit. What a union of grace! What merciful help You’ve giving us, Your children! Help me to open up to all You will do in me, with me, and through me. Oh, be exalted in me!
The Lord Jesus has abolished the enmity between us and God. The Holy Spirit makes our access to Him very real—Eph 2:13-18
DAY 4—Even if we are worn down by the trouble others bring upon us, the Lord will prove Himself faithful.
Ps 3:1-4 LORD, how are they increased that trouble me! many are they that rise up against me. Many there be which say of my soul. There is no help for him in God, Selah. But Thou, O LORD, art a shield for me: my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. I cried unto the LORD with my voice, and He heard me out of His holy hill, Selah.
· DEAR LORD, our trouble has increased. Discouragement keeps coming from all around us. We’ve looked for someone to help us, but no one seems able. But still our trust is in You. The authority of Your Kingdom is prevailing. We WILL see Your mercy, and Your grace, and Your deliverance.
If we cry unto The Lord, He will not turn us away nor will He remove His mercy—Ps 66:16-20
DAY 5—Sometimes it is only a simple cry unto the Lord that will gain His attention.
Isa 19:20b …for they shall cry unto the LORD because of the oppressors, and He shall send them a Saviour... Ps 34:4-6 I sought the LORD, and He heard me, and delivered me from all my fears. They looked unto Him, and were lightened: and their faces were not ashamed. This poor man cried and the LORD heard him, and saved him out of all his troubles.
· LORD, spiritual skill has failed us. There seems little left for us to say about this situation we face, but our spirits cry after You. Our ability to pray through has failed. We are left with but one thing and that is an overwhelming need. Therefore we cry for Your mercy! Oh, let Your Spirit come inside us and pray for us! Let Him pray through us.
Even though the Lord is high, He hears the cry of the lowly—Ps 138:6-8
DAY 6—Even the blind, the deaf and the lame can know God’s grace and power.
Isa 35:4-6 Say to them that are of a fearful heart, Be strong, fear not: behold your God will come with vengeance, even God with a recompense: He will come and save you. Then the eyes of the blind shall be opened and the ears of the deaf shall be unstopped. Then shall the lame man leap as an hart, and the tongue of the dumb sing: for in the wilderness shall waters break out, and streams in the desert.
· LORD, we’ve been more taken with our weaknesses than Your strength. Our fears have ruled us. Our blindness has hindered our walk with You. Our deafness has caused us not to hear Your voice. But now, You are healing us. You are bringing Your strength over on our weakness. You are healing our eyes to behold You and our ears to hear Your voice.
When we know God’s King is reigning, we can see and we can hear as we ought—Is 32:1-3
DAY 7—The greater our trouble the greater can be the work of the Lord in our behalf.
Isa 40:29-31 He giveth power to the faint: and to them that have no might He increaseth strength. Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall: but they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength: they shall mount up with wings as eagles: thee shall run, and not be weary: and they shall walk, and not faint.
· LORD, we are near to fainting. This trial has left us spiritually weak. From deep in our spirits we cry to You. Oh, teach us to wait on You! Show us Your strength and Your provision for our spirit.
It is possiblel We CAN learn to live out of the resources The Lord gives us—Phil 4:11-13
DIFFICULT TIMES OFFER US OPPORTUNITY TO DEVELOP AS OVERCOMERS. In the darkness faith will grow and become all the stronger as fearsome days come on us.
DAY 8—The only thing that need be strong about us as overcomers is our faith.
Hab 2:4 Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him: but the just shall live by His faith. Gal 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live: yet not I but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God. Who loved me, and gave Himself for me.
· DEAR LORD, my ability to have faith in You has come under attack. I am left feeling weak and helpless. In this condition, I cry to You. I am ready to open my spirit to the faith of Your Son Who loved me and gave Himself for me. Oh, yes! I am ready.
We fight to hold on to our confidence—Heb 10:35-39
DAY 9—We are learning the Lord is ready to take our battles as His Own battles.
II Chron 20:13- 15 And all Judah stood before the LORD, with their little ones, their wives, and their children. Then upon Jahaziel…came the Spirit of the LORD in the midst of the congregation; and he said, Hearken ye, all Judah, and ye inhabitants of Jerusalem, and thou king Jehoshaphat, Thus saith the LORD unto you, Be not afraid nor dismayed by reason of this great multitude: for the battle is not yours, but God’s.
· LORD, I stand before You in behalf of my family and these little ones. We face obstacles that are too great for us. Defeat is at our door. But, right now I renounce fear and anger. With the faith Your Spirit is releasing in me, I confess we shall overcome!
The Lord will show His power for His people—Is 52:5-10
DAY 10—The Lord is ready to come against our adversary for us.
II Chron 32:8a With him (our adversary) is an arm of flesh; but with us is the LORD our God to help us, and to fight our battles... I Sam 17:47 And all this assembly shall know that the LORD saveth not with sword and spear: for the battle is the LORD’s, and He will give you (our adversary) into our hands.
· DEAR LORD, help me not forget, even in face of this fierce war, that the battle is Yours. Continue moving in me by Your Spirit to release Your faith in me. Make me strong in this faith to overcome.
Here is a prayer for the poor and needy—Ps 35:1-10
DAY 11—It is when we face our battles in God’s might that we become overcomers.
Heb 2:14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood. He also himself likewise took part of the same: that through death He might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil. Rev 12:11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony: and they loved not their lives unto the death.
· FATHER, strengthen in me the word of my testimony. Show me the power of Christ’s blood. Show me, that I might make it known both to my adversary and to my fellow believers. And, set me free from the inordinate way I love myself and bring the love born of Your Spirit over into my life.
We are ready to give our testimony with meekness and awesome fear—I Pet 3:12-16
THE LORD JESUS MADE SEVEN PROMISES TO TIlE OVERCOMERS. All of them are ready to find their meaning in us as children of the Kingdom.
DAY 12—As Overcomers, we discover the very life our Parents lost in Eden.
Rev 2:7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the Tree of Life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God. Jas 1:12 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the Crown of Life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.
· LORD, give me an ear to hear this promise. While my mind cannot understand every detail of the Book of Revelation, my spirit can receive the light and life of it. Oh, let me eat of the Tree of Life. Let me flourish in Your garden and become strong for Your Kingdom.
The grace of God enables us to reign in life— Rom 5:17: Rom 8:31,32
DAY 13—As Overcomers, we gain the victory over death.
Rev 2:11 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death. Rev 20:6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no Power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with Him a thousand years.
· FATHER, I’m beginning to hear Your awesome call on us into the Life of Your eternal Kingdom. Teach me to live out of the resources of Your Kingdom. Teach me to know its life—even today!
Jesus is the Resurrection and the Life—Jn 11:21-26
DAY 14—As Overcomers, we partake of a spiritual food and have our own relationship with the Father unknown to others.
Rev 2:17 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it. Jn 6:31,48 Our fathers did eat manna in the desert; as it is written, He gave them bread from heaven to eat…I am that bread of life.
· LORD, let me partake of that food I never could have received before You began Your work in me. Let me eat of that hidden manna. Let me live out of relationship with You. I cherish our communion. It is becoming intimate and dear. Oh, seal my heart in personal love for You.
Jesus told of the Bread of Life which would become our daily food—Jn 6:27-35
DAY 15—As Overcomers, we receive authority to rule even as Jesus received authority.
Rev 2:26-28 And he that overcometh, and keepeth My works unto the end, to him will I give power (from exousía, "executive authority") over the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of My Father. And I will give him the morning star.
· FATHER, this is awesome. There is something working in me enabling me to believe this promise. Please bring the qualities of Your Kingdom over into my whole life. Help me walk in the authority You have given us in Christ Jesus. I want to live as an overcomer even in the face of Satan’s accusation.
Out of their understanding in this Psalm the early Church prevailed—Ps 2: Ac 4:23-31
DAY 16—As Overcomers, we have righteousness and assurance before the Father.
Rev 3:5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment: and I will not blot out his name out of the Book of Life, but I will confess his name before My Father, and before His angels. Heb 12:22,23 But ye are come unto mount Zion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels, to the General Assembly and Church of the Firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect...
· LORD, thank You for where You have brought me. Thank You for the righteousness with which You have clothed me. Thank You for placing my name in the Book of Life. It is only by Your grace, for I could attain this by any other means. Now, today, help me walk worthy of Your Kingdom.
If we confess the Lord Jesus before men, He will confess us before His Father—Mt 10:32,33
DAY 17—As Overcomers, we are marked as belonging to the Government of God.
Rev 3:12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the Name of My God, and the name of the City of My God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from My God: and I will write upon him My new Name.
· GRACIOUS LORD, let Your mark upon my life be plain for all to see. Even while I walk in the midst of ungodly and worldly souls, let the light and life You have placed in me be manifest at all times.
When we receive Christ Jesus, we receive authority to live as sons of God—Jn 1:12,13
DAY 18—As Overcomers, we become Kingdom people, reigning with Christ.
Rev 3:21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in My Throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with My Father in His Throne. Mt 25:21 His lord said unto him (the servant who faithfully took his talents and multiplied them), Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy Lord.
· LORD, grant me the ability to be a faithful servant as I reign with You. Make me into one who can overcome in every trial that comes upon me as I walk in the path of my obedience to You. Settle me, O PATTERN SON, in the way of overcoming You have laid out for me.
We keep our sight on Jesus, the Captain of our salvation, as He leads us in triumph—Heb 2:6-10
WE CANNOT BECOME OVERCOMERS UNTIL WE STARE DEFEAT IN THE FACE AND DECLARE OUR TRIUMPH IN CHRIST JESUS. If we are cast down, it only makes way for our greater triumph in Him.
DAY 19—Christ Jesus will take every dark trial to make manifest His triumph in us.
II Cor 2:14 Now thanks be unto God, Which always causeth us to triumph in Christ ("makes our life a constant pageant of triumph in Christ"), and maketh manifest the savour of His knowledge by us in every place. Ps 92:4 For Thou, LORD, hast made me clod through Thy work: I will triumph in the works of Thy hands.
· O LORD, how I praise You for the victory You are giving us in this trial! There seemed no way of escape. Hope was vanishing. Our faith was growing weaker. But You are making bare Your holy arm. You are taking the battle for us. You are winning!
In the midst of a storm a man heard from God, Deliverance became sure—Ac 27:18-25
DAY 20—Unstoppable trust may lead to unstoppable praying until the need is met.
Lk 11:10-13 For every one that asketh (and asketh) receiveth; and he that seeketh (and seeketh) findeth; and to him that knocketh (and knocketh) it shall be opened. If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your Heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask (and ask and ask and ask) Him?
· FATHER, my thirst is unquenchable. My need cannot be met by any other. I can find no other source of life and strength. Only Your Spirit will suffice. I cannot quit my petition until You have answered. Please send Your Spirit upon me and fill me now.
Jesus, in teaching about praying, used the story of a man who would not stop asking till he received what he needed—Lk 11:1-13
(Each of these underlined Verbs appear in the Greek New Testament in a way to indicate their action is persistent and continual.)
These "prayer starters" at their best are only prods to direct us Into further praying. They are never meant to be the totality of our praying.
© Berean Ministries
P.O. Box 38
Elk Park, NC 28622-0038
Visit Us at http://www.maschil.com