More Principles by Which
Children of the Kingdom Live
NEVER HAS THERE BEEN A TIME like now to learn from our King how to walk in the principles of His Kingdom. We continue—slowly—this month with His prime teaching in Mt 5 thru 7 about the Kingdom of Heaven. This is the Kingdom He brought powerfully and graciously into the earth.
JESUS TAUGHT HIS DISCIPLES TO MAKE THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN THE PRIME OBJECTIVE OF THEIR SEARCH IN LIFE. Amazingly, this Kingdom takes concern for all the important issues of life.
DAY 1—The Lord Jesus teaches us to give up all anxiety about the everyday things of life.
Matthew 6:25 Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought (hold no anxiety) for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink: nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?
Psalm 55:22 Cast thy burden upon the LORD, and He shall sustain thee: He shall never suffer the righteous to be moved.
· LORD, I have tried to carry these many burdens—for my family, for these others that I love, and even for myself. Today I am ready to lay them all before You. You alone can bear them. One by one, I lay these cares at Your feet—and I worship You.
Even in affliction we learn to cast our cares on the Lord, and see His goodness—I Pet 5:5-10
DAY 2—He teaches us to trust God for our food, even if there is no source for it in sight.
Matthew 6:26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns: yet your Heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?
Psalm 145:13-16 Thy Kingdom is an everlasting Kingdom, and Thy Dominion endureth throughout all generations. The LORD upholdeth all that fall -- and raiseth up all those that be bowed down. The eyes of all wait upon Thee: and Thou givest them their meat in due season, openest Thine hand -- and satisfiest the desire of every living thing.
· HEAVENLY FATHER, open my eyes to see the everlasting wonders of Your Kingdom. Teach me, even as You have taught the little bird, to trust in Your loving care—even when there seems to be no way that I can see. I worship You, Oh Loving Lord!
Saints learn to speak of the glory of God’s Kingdom and to talk of His power—Ps 145:8-14
DAY 3—He teaches us to trust God for our clothing, even if we come down to our last rag.
Matthew 6:27-30 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature? And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they crow: they toil not, neither do they spin: and yet I say unto you, that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall He not much more clothe you. O ye of little faith?
· DEAR FATHER, what love and tender care You have for us! Forgive me when I’ve worried about the time of trouble so many feel is coming. Teach me today to simply trust You for provision, even if it calls for some miracle from Your unseen hand.
The wealth of Solomon grew pale when compared with the wealth of God’s Kingdom—I Ki 10:4-7
DAY 4—He teaches us put His Kingdom first before all else we seek in life.
Matthew 6:31-33 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or What shall we drink? or Wherewithal shall we be clothed? (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your Heavenlv Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. But seek ye first the Kingdom of God, and His righteousness: and all these things shall be added unto you.
· FATHER, show me how I’ve put other things, and people, before You. Teach me to make Your Kingdom the first object of my search in life. Help me adjust my living so I can be right for You and Your Kingdom’s purpose upon me. And please, make me and my family ready for what trouble may come.
We have a good example in the widow who put others first, and saw all her needs met—I KI 17:1-16
DAY 5—In the face of God’s love and greatness, Jesus teaches us to put away anxiety.
Matthew 6:34 Take therefore no thought (hold no anxiety) for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
II Chronicles 16:9a For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward Him...
· FATHER, You have worked wonders in my life. Help me remember Your grace and Your faithfulness even in the face of calamity, poverty, and the failure of those I have leaned on. Even if I face the great tribulation, teach me I can still trust You.
Even with a strong enemy breathing upon us, we can see the faithfulness of God—Is 41:10-13
JESUS TAUGHT HIS DISCIPLES TO BE JUST IN THEIR ASSESSMENT OF OTHERS.
In His Kingdom, we have a tender concern for those in whom wrong has taken
the upper hand.
DAY 6—It is a Kingdom principle that if we set ourselves up to judge, we shall face the same judgment we place on others.
Matthew 7:1,2 Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
Romans 14:13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother’s way.
· LORD, please set me free from this tendency to be critical of others. Make me, instead, a person of mercy. Help me hear the deep cry of another person’s heart so I can be gracious toward them. Make me a healer in Your Kingdom.
It is the Lord Who will bring all things to light in His judgment—I Cor 4:5; Lk 8:17
DAY 7— Kingdom persons are more critical of themselves than others.
Matthew 7:3-5 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye: and, behold, a beam is in thine own eve? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye: and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother’s eye.
· FATHER, I’m inclined to see the wrongs of others more clearly than 1 see my own. Oh, forgive me! Give me the grace to deal with these things in my spirit that I know are an offence to You.
Jesus dealt fiercely with hypocrisy—Mt 23:13-30
DAY 8—Jesus teaches us to hold deep regard for holy things committed to our care.
Matthew 7:6 Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.
Psalm 39:1 I said, I will take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue: I will keep my mouth with a bridle, while the wicked is before me.
· LORD, teach me to hold high regard for the light You have given me. Help me not sin with my tongue by speaking of Your high truth in the presence of those who will only make mockery of it. Show me how 1 should speak when with unbelievers so they can see Your light and truth in me.
We are warned against those who will pervert the way of truth—Il Pet 2:1-3
JESUS TAUGHT THE SIMPLEST LESSON ABOUT PRAYING WHEN HE USED THE SIMPLE WORD "ASK." He taught us never to give in till we see the answer.
DAY 9—He compared praying with an asking, a seeking and a knocking that never ceases.
Matthew 7:7,8 *Ask, and it shall be given you: *seek, and ye shall find: *knock, and it shall be opened unto you: for every one that asketh receiveth: and he that seeketh findeth: and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. (*Each Verb thus marked is so spelled in the Original to mean that the action goes on without ceasing.)
Psalm 10:17 LORD, Thou hast heard the desire of the humble: Thou wilt prepare their heart. Thou wilt cause Thine ear to hear.
· LORD, teach me to pray without ceasing. Bring me to the place where my worship of You never ceases. I want my love for You and my trust in You to never stop, even in the face of difficulties.
We remember, it is possible to pray without ceasing—Ac 12:5: Rom 1:9: I Thes 5:17: II Tim 1:3
DAY 10—If earthly fathers tenderly care for their children, how much greater is our Heavenly Father’s care for us!
Matthew 7:9-11 Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone? Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent? If ye then, Being evil know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in Heaven give good things to them that ask him?
· HEAVENLY FATHER, I’m one who needs healing to know You as my Father. Thank You for the natural father You gave me, but sometimes he didn’t know how to be a father. I have much to learn. Please heal me so I can trust You completely.
Let us consider the good that God Is ready to give—Ps 34:10: 84:11,12: 85:12; Jer 29:11; 33:3,14
JESUS TAUGHT THAT THE WAY OF GOD’S KINGDOM IS NARROW AND MAY BE DIFFICULT. In this He brought lessons from the Old Covenant over into the New.
DAY 11—The Golden Rule of Christ’s Kingdom has its roots in the Law and the Prophets.
Matthew 7:12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the Law and the Prophets.
Leviticus 19:18 Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD.
· LORD, I submit to this basic premise of Your Kingdom—to love others as I love myself. Let this search me today. Show me how I fail in loving my neighbor as myself. Then, please show me how I can adjust my way of living and responding to others so I can fulfill this Golden Rule.
We can see how the Prophets are in agreement with the Lord Jesus on this Golden Rule
—Isa 1:17; Jer 7:5-7; Mic 6:8; Zech 7:8-10. 16; Mal 3:5
DAY 12—Even in this time of grace, the way of entrance into the Kingdom is narrow.
Matthew 7:13,14 Enter ye in at the strait (narrow) gate. For wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: because strait is the gate, and narrow (compressed) is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
· FATHER, this is awesome to my soul. Let me not assume that I am in Your Kingdom. Search all my heart and soul. Find every way in me that is an offense to You and Your Kingdom. Bring the convictions upon me that will bring me into its narrow way.
The Prophets call us to walk in the narrow way—Isa 30:21; Isa 35:8: Jer 6:16
DAY 13—With regard to the Kingdom, false prophets will come with their deceptions.
Matthew 7:15,16a Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Ye shall know them by their fruits.
Jeremiah 14:14 Then the LORD said unto me The Prophets prophesy lies in My Name: I sent them not, neither have I commanded them, neither spake unto them: they prophesy unto you a false vision and divination, and a thing of nought, and the deceit of their heart.
· FATHER, I renounce the very lie of Satan. Please cleanse my spirit of every idea I’ve embraced that is wrong for Your Kingdom. And please give me a discerning spirit to know what is right before You.
The Lord may allow false prophets to prove the sincerely of our hearts before Him—Deut 13:1-3
DAY 14—For the Kingdom, what we are is more important than what we say or do.
Matthew 7:16b-20 Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit: but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
· DEAR LORD, I do not want to become a ‘fruit" inspector of ministries that came along. But, please give me enough discernment not to follow after those who speak and teach what is false—and who do not walk in the truth they speak.
Whatever is in the heart is what will eventually come out—Lk 6:43-45
THE CRITERION FOR GOD’S KINGDOM REVOLVES AROUND DOING WHAT HE WANTS.
If we will function in His Kingdom, we will give up our own self-willed ways.
DAY 15—The standard of determination for God’s Kingdom is whether we do His will.
Matthew 7:21 Not every one that saith unto Me, Lord, Lord shall enter into the Kingdom of Heaven: but he that doeth the will of My Father which is in heaven.
Hebrews 13:20,21 Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that Great Shepherd of the sheep, through the Blood of the everlasting Covenant, make you perfect in every good work to do His will, working in you that which is wellpleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ: to Whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.
· FATHER, I have no hope of doing Your will, except by Your enabling grace. Thank You for the grace You have given me in Christ Jesus. Oh, let it work its way into all the deep parts of my soul and spirit!
God’s will was of first importance for the Lord Jesus as He brought in the New Covenant—Heb 10:7-9
DAY 16—Sadly, many who think they know God’s Kingdom will miss its glory.
Matthew 7:22,23 Many will say to Me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Thy Name? and in Thy Name have cast out devils? and in Thy Name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them. I never knew you: depart from Me, ye that work iniquity.
· FATHER, please bring the convicting power of Your Spirit upon these people who profess to know You, but by their works deny You. And LOVING LORD, please include me as Your convicting people. I don’t want to arrive at the day of judgment condemned.
It is a grievous thing that there are prophets who prophesy falsely—Jer 14:13-20
DAY 17—Those wise people who receive instruction from the Lord will be safe from harm.
Matthew 7:24,25 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of Mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: and the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house: and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.
· DEAR LORD, please open my ears to hear Your instruction. Set me free from all false hope and religious ideas that are not in line with Your Word. Help me become willing to change where necessary.
Those who follow false prophets will have a rude awakening—Ezek 13:1-14
DAY 18—Those who hear the Word of the Lord, but give it no heed, will fall in judgment.
Matthew 7:26,27 And every one that heareth these sayings of Mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: and the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house: and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
· LORD, give me a heart to hear You. I think in some ways I am callous. In some ways I hear but don’t follow on to know You and the ways of Your Kingdom. Please bring Your sweet judgments on me now so I can stand in the final day.
For those who give no heed, the day of judgment will be a fearful time—Heb 10:26-31
DAY 19—The teachings of the Lord Jesus were astonishing then, and remain so to many.
Matthew 7:28,29 And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at His doctrine: for He taught them as One having authority, and not as the scribes.
Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto Me in heaven and in earth.
· POWERFUL LORD, in every way I am ready to submit to the authority of Your Kingdom. Show me where my own stubbornness has held out against You. Deal with me by Your Spirit till every part of me is yielded to You. Oh, I love You and want to hold nothing back from You!
The Word of the Lord is powerful. Indeed, it is powerful—Jer 23:28, 29
DAY 20—The Lord Jesus was that Prophet about Whom God spoke to Moses.
Deuteronomy 18:18,19 I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put My words in His mouth: and He shall speak unto them all that I shall command Him. And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto My words which He shall speak in My Name. I will require it of him.
· DEAR LORD JESUS, open my understanding to know You as the Son of David, as the Son of Abraham, and as the Son of Adam. And open my heart to know You as the One to Whom the Father pointed when He spoke to Moses about One to come. I long to know You in the Covenants. I long to know You as the perfect fulfillment of all righteousness.
We remember that the writers of the New Testament saw the Lord Jesus as the Son of David,
the Son of Abraham, and the Son of Adam—Mt 1:1; Rom 1:1-5; Rev 22:16: Rom 5:14; I Cor 15:45
© Berean Ministries
P.O. Box 38
Elk Park, NC 28622-0038
Visit Us at http://www.maschil.com