The Increase of His Government
THE COVENANTS and the Prophecies of the Old Testament spoke clearly of Christ and His Government that would spread through the earth. Significantly, it is spreading now in the hearts of people who open themselves to His rule. Through this month we will consider those Covenant and Prophetic Words as we yield ourselves to His Government. We will conclude by dealing with some of the dark forces that try to rule in some lives—indeed, in many lives.
DAY 1—The first recorded thing that Jesus taught after His resurrection pertained to the Scriptures concerning Himself.
Lk 24:27,32 And beginning at Moses and all the Prophets, He expounded unto them in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself. And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while He talked with us by the way, and while He opened to us the Scriptures?
• DEAR LORD, like those men on the Emmaus road, I tend toward reasoning without consideration of what Your Word says. Forgive me. Draw near. Open my understanding to know the Scriptures, especially what they say concerning Yourself and Your rule. Open my eyes to see You and Your Government at work today.
The Walk along Emmaus Road—Lk 24:13-32
DAY 2—It was Moses who recorded the first Promise and Prophecy about Christ’s triumph.
Gen 3:14,15 And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life: and I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed (the anti-Christ) and her Seed (the Christ); it (literally "He") shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise His heel. I John 3:8b For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. Rom 16:20a And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly.
• DEAR LORD, for me You crushed the serpent’s head when he struck at Your heel. That wound of Yours has healed me. Your triumph over him has given You the right to rule. Rule me. Teach me to overcome. Bring Your rule into the lives of these I hold before You and let them know their release from Satan’s hold.
The Woman’s Seed that Came to Effect our Redemption— Gal 4:4-7
DAY 3—God made a Covenant with Abraham concerning the inheritance of his Seed.
Gen 17:7 And I will establish My Covenant between Me and thee and thy Seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy Seed after thee. Gal 3:16 Now to Abraham and his Seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy Seed, which is Christ. Rom 4:13 For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his Seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith. Gal 3:29 And if ye be Christ’s, then are ye Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.
• LORD, the faith You have given me reaches beyond the reasonings of my mind and concludes I am drawn into that Covenant You made with Abraham. Open my understanding to know what it means to be a joint heir with Christ and a partaker in His Kingdom.
Heirs according to the Promise, Partakers of the Heavenly Calling—Gal 3:22-29; Rom 8:15-17; Heb 3:1
DAY 4—Jacob prophesied concerning a Ruler Who would come from the Tribe of Judah. Gen 49:10 The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh ("The One to Whom It Belongs") come; and unto Him shall the gathering of the people be. Heb 7:14a For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Judah... Rev 5:5 And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof.
• LORD, I confess that You have the right to reign in all the earth. Your rule in the nations is certain. What I desire this day is that Your rule in my life will be certain. Rule my will, my mind, my emotions. Rule my conscience and all that pertains to my living.
The Prophetic Confirmation—Mic 5:2; Mt 2:1-8
DAY 5—God made a Covenant also with David concerning the sure Kingdom of his Seed.
I Chron 17:llb (to David)….I will raise up thy Seed after thee, which shall be of thy sons; and I will establish His Kingdom. Ps 132:11 The LORD hath sworn in truth unto David; He will not turn from it; Of the fruit of thy body will I set upon thy throne.
• THOU SON OF DAVID, I recognize the authority of Your Throne. I acknowledge Your right to rule in all the affairs of my life, and in the affairs of all the members of my family. I acknowledge that all the forces of darkness and all the powers of evil that have tried to destroy us are lesser powers than the power of Your Kingdom.
The Promise to David Confirmed in Christ’s Resurrection—Acts 2:30-36; II Tim 2:8
DAY 6—In the Psalms of David there is much Covenant Word concerning the Reign of Christ.
Ps 2:6-8 Yet have I set My King upon My holy hill of Zion. I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto Me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten Thee. Ask of Me, and I shall give Thee the heathen for Thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for Thy possession. Ps 110:1,2 The LORD said unto My Lord, Sit Thou at My right hand, until I make Thine enemies Thy footstool. The LORD shall send the rod of Thy strength out of Zion: rule Thou in the midst of Thine enemies.
• LORD, there is no spot on this globe where Your right to rule does not extend. Because of this, I continue to hold these dear ones before You. Let the authority of Your Throne come over them and over the circumstances of their lives. Draw them by Your Spirit to yield to You.
The Covenant Word of Ps 2 and Ps 110 Expanded in the Book of Hebrews—Heb 1:1-5
DAY 7—The Prophet Isaiah Foretold the Reign of Christ.
Isa 9:6,7 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon His shoulder: and His Name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The Mighty God, The Everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Of the increase of His government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.
• FATHER, I rejoice in the splendor of Your Son and the Government resting upon His shoulder. He is the Wonderful Counselor of my family. He is bringing us to know You. He is our peace. On this very day, I present all the affairs of my family to the authority of Your Throne.
In behalf of His Church, He is Head over all things—Eph 1:22,23; Eph 3:10,21
DAY 8—Isaiah’s Word pertaining to Christ’s righteous rule only became greater.
Isa 11:1-3 And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots: and • the Spirit of the LORD shall rest upon Him, • the spirit of wisdom and understanding, • the Spirit of counsel and might, • the Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD; and • shall make Him of quick understanding in the fear of the LORD: and • He shall not judge after the sight of His eyes,• neither reprove after the hearing of His ears: but • with righteousness shall He judge the poor, and • reprove with equity for the meek of the earth: and • He shall smite the earth with the rod of His mouth, and • with the breath of His lips shall he slay the wicked.
• DEAR LORD I submit to the wisdom and understanding that is in Your Kingdom. I find comfort in the counsel and might of Your Throne. I yield my mind to the Spirit of knowledge and godly fear that Your Government brings. Reign, O LORD, reign in my life, in my family, in my land!
How He Must Reign Till All Enemies Are under His Feet—I Cor 15:25; Ps 45:3-6; Jer 23:5; Zech 14:9
DAY 9—Isaiah told of the Gentiles coming under the Government of Christ with a glorious rest.
Isa 11:10 And in that day there shall be a root of Jesse, which shall stand for an ensign of the people; to it shall the Gentiles seek: and His rest shall be glorious. Isa 42:1 Behold My Servant, Whom I uphold; Mine Elect, in Whom My soul delighteth; I have put My Spirit upon Him: He shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.
• ROOT OF JESSE, SON OF DAVID, I am ready to yield all that I am and all that I have to the authority of Your Kingdom. Work the grace in me to do this so that no part of my life remains out from under Your dominion. Draw my household, my loved ones, my friends all to know Your rule in their lives. I name their names now in Your presence.
The Rest that His Government Brings—Il Thes 1:6-8; Heb 4:1-11
DAY 10—Jeremiah told of the King Who would reign with righteousness in the earth.
Jer 23:5,6 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth. In His days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is his Name whereby He shall be called, THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS.
• MY SAVIOR, MY LORD, MY KING, execute Your judgment and Your justice in my life. Bring Your righteous rule over upon my household to make us a praise in the earth for You and Your Kingdom. Bring Your judgment and Your justice in our land. Let us become a righteous nation for You.
The Source of the Righteousness of His Kingdom—Rom 5:19; 10:4; I cor 1:30; II Cor 5:21; Phil 3:8,9
DAY 11—Zechariah told of the Branch Who would build the Temple of the Lord and rule as Priest and King.
Zech 6:12,13 ... Thus speaketh the LORD of hosts, saying, Behold the Man Whose Name is The BRANCH; and He shall grow up out of His place, and He shall build the Temple of the LORD: Even He shall build the Temple of the LORD; and He shall bear the glory, and shall sit and rule upon His Throne; and He shall be a Priest upon His Throne: and the counsel of peace shall be between them both.
• GLORIOUS LORD, You are building Your Temple in the earth. It is a place for Your habitation and Your rule. Make me, and these I hold before You, into proper stones for this Temple. Remove from us all that would defile or spoil Your Temple. Make us a habitation for Your justice, Your judgment, Your grace, and Your peace.
The Branch, a Prophetic Designation of the Son of David—Isa 4:2; 11:1-5; Isa 53:1,2; Jer 23:5; 33:15
DAY 12—Those who recognized Jesus as the Son of David were instantly healed.
Mt 9:27-30a And when Jesus departed thence, two blind men followed Him, crying, and saying, Thou Son of David, have mercy on us. And when He was come into the house, the blind men came to Him: and Jesus saith unto them, Believe ye that I am able to do this? They said unto him, Yea, Lord. Then touched he their eyes, saying, According to your faith be it unto you. And their eyes were opened...
• MERCIFUL LORD, THOU SON OF DAVID, I too am blind and I need Your healing. I am blind to Your mercy. I am blind to Your power. I am blind to the authority and extent of Your Kingdom. Open my eyes to behold You and the glory of Your Kingdom. Work Your works in me till I can live under the power of Your rule.
How Empty Religion May Leave a Person Blind—Deut 32:15; Mt 13:15; II Pet 1:9; Rev 3:17
DAY 13—Even a Gentile woman recognized Jesus as the Son of David and received healing into her household.
Mt 15:22,26-28 And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, Thou Son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil.... But He answered and said, It is not meet to take the children ‘s bread, and cast it to dogs. And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters’ table. Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour.
• O LORD, THOU SON OF DAVID, here are these in my household who desperately need Your healing power. Not one of them is worthy. I can only appeal to Your grace for them. Show them Your mercy as You set them free from the demonic stronghold that has held them.
How Jesus Responded to Faith More than to Religious Practice—Mt 8:5-13
DAY 14—Even when the multitude opposed, Jesus responded to those who recognized Him as the Son of David.
Mt 20:30-34 And, behold, two blind men sitting by the way side, when they heard that Jesus passed by, cried out, saying, Have mercy on us, O Lord, Thou Son of David. And the multitude rebuked them...but they cried the more, saying, Have mercy on us, O Lord, Thou Son of David. And Jesus stood still, and called them, and said, What will ye that I shall do unto you? They say unto Him, Lord, that our eyes may be opened. So Jesus had compassion on them, and touched their eyes: and immediately their eyes received sight, and they followed Him.
• O LORD, I am beginning to see that when people called You "The Son of David," You immediately responded. I reach through all the opposition around me and cry, Have mercy on me, O Lord, Thou Son of David. I have these desperate needs, and so does my family.
God’s Covenant God with David—I Chron 17:11-14
NOW, LET US consider some of the forces of darkness that will try and exercise dominion over a soul. We will see the greater dominion of Christ’s Government.
DAY 15—Freedom from the Dominion of Fear
I John 4:18b ...fear hath torment... Isa 35:4 Say to them that are of a fearful heart, Be strong, fear not: behold, your God will come with vengeance, even God with a recompense; he will come and save you. Heb 13:5b,6 . . .for He hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.
• LORD, because of greediness, I have let fear rule me. I now renounce fear, and I renounce greed. I am ready to accept the fact that You will never leave me, nor forsake me. With Your gracious presence, I take my freedom from the fear that has tried to rule me.
How Love Overcomes Fear—I John 4:17-19
DAY 16—Freedom from Anger’s Rule
Eccl 7:9 Be not hasty in thy spirit to be angry: for anger resteth in the bosom of fools. Ps 37:8 Cease from anger, and forsake wrath: fret not thyself in any wise to do evil. Eph 4:26 Be ye angry, and sin not ("Whenever you are angry, do not let it make you sin."): let not the sun go down upon your wrath.
• FATHER, I will no more let anger rule me. Although I have just cause for anger, I am now ready for it to become productive. Show me how to respond. Grant me the ability to forgive. Let me actions become redemptive toward those who have angered me. Bring Your mercy over upon their lives so they can become free, too.
How to Deal with Anger—Eph 4:31; Col 3:8; Ps 4:4
DAY 17—Freedom from the Rule of Covetousness
Heb 13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have... Ex 20:17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour’s. Rom 13:9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
• FATHER, I renounce the insecurity that has allowed covetousness to rule me. Teach me to give, instead of to covet. Teach me to rejoice in the prosperity of others when I still have lack. Set my family free from this same insecurity. Help us all become givers in Your Kingdom.
Taking Note of the Company Covetousness Keeps—Rom 1:29; Eph 5:3; Col 3:5
DAY 18—Freedom from the Rule of What Other People Say and May Do
Pro 29:25 The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the LORD shall be safe. Eccl 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
• FATHER, let me admit it. I have lived too long under the rule of what other people say and think. In this, I have allowed their opinions to haunt me and have found myself, time and again, playing the hypocrite because I feared what others would say. Now I am ready for this area of my life to be cleaned up so I can fear You and do Your will without reservation.
Observing the Faithfulness of God when He Is Obeyed instead of Man—Dan 3:14-25
DAY 19—Freedom from the Rule of Pain Inflicted by Others
Gen 50:20 But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive. Isa 43:18 Remember ye not the former things, neither consider the things of old. Rom 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
• FATHER, the pain of my former life still fries to rise up and rule my emotions and my wilL I stop this right now by thanking You for what happened to me. Sanctify it to me and make it a holy thing in my life so I may prosper in Your Kingdom. Set my children free from their pain. Bring them to know the sweet rule of Your Government.
How God Turned the Greatest Act of Evil into the Greatest Good—Acts 3:23-15,26
DAY 20—Freedom from the Rule of a Mortifying Affliction
Ps 18:27a For Thou wilt save the afflicted people... Ps 22:24 For He hath not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; neither hath He hid His face from him; but when he cried unto Him, He heard. Ps 119:71 It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn Thy statutes.
• FATHER, I am ready to see it: this affliction can become a holy thing in my life. I thought it had ruined my usefulness. Now I see it can make me even more useful for Your Kingdom. O, sanctify it to me! I am ready to see Your healing grace and power. And, DEAR LORD, here is this other person who has a greater affliction than I have. Draw them into Your bosom so they can know the rule of Your love and the healing power of Your Kingdom.
A Prayer of the Afflicted, When He Is Overwhelmed—Ps 102:1-28 (Take note in this Psalm how the power and authority of God’s Kingdom prevails in the praying of this afflicted one.)
© Berean Ministries
P.O. Box 38
Elk Park, NC 28622-0038
Visit Us at http://www.maschil.com