Gods Spirit Moves
When His People Seek Him
THE COMMISSION OF THE LORD JESUS THAT HIS DISCIPLES HERALD THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN REOUIRED THAT THEY RECEIVE THE POWER OF HIS SPIRIT. Is any less required of us upon whom the ends of the age have come?
(In the scripture passages below in blue, I've taken the liberty of placing my own interpretation from the Greek New Testament.)
DAY 1Jesus charged His disciples to herald the Kingdom of Heaven.
Mt 10:7,8 And as ye go preach ("cry out as a herald"), saving, The kingdom of Heaven is at hand. Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.
· DEAR LORD, words from You like this, that seem so impossible, have caused some of us to ignore much of what You said. Forgive me for doing this. Even though I cant understand everything at this point, I open myself anew to You and to Your Word.
Receiving His Word will bring rejoicing to our heartsJer 15:16; Ps 119:103, 130
DAY 2Jesus commissioned His disciples to teach others to do as He had charged them.
Mt 28:18,19 And Jesus came and spoke unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach ALL nations ... Teaching them to observe ALL things whatsoever I have commanded you...
· SAVIOR, I am sorry we have ignored so much of Your commission. Forgive us. Please change my attitude and let me know what You want from me.
We must be careful not to ignore any of the Word of the LordDeut 5:32,33; Deut 12:32; Rev 22:19
DAY 3Jesus had taught His disciples that they could move and minister as He did.
Jn 14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on Me, the works that I do shall he do also: and greater works than these shall he do: because I go unto My Father. Mt 21:21 Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea: it shall be done.
· LORD, these Words of Yours are too heavy for me to hear with my mind. Oh, let me hear them with my spirit! Let them come over on me today as I face these impossible situations, and as I hold these others before You who are in great need of miracles.
Some receive the light and the life of His Words, while others explain them awayMk 16:17,18
DAY 4Jesus told the disciples to wait where they were till the Holy Spirit came upon them.
Lk 24:49 And, behold, I send the promise of My Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.
· LORD, teach me to wait before You. Cause the hunger of my heart to increase so I will wait in Your presence. Bring upon me a Spirit of Supplication that will not allow me to give in till I have received Your promise and am filled with Your Spirit.
Jesus taught His disciples to pray through about all mattersLk 11:5-13; Lk 18:1-8
DAY 5His "Kingdom Statement" and His "Lasting Promise" reach for the end of this age.
Mt 24:14 And this Gospel of the Kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations and then shall the end ("the consummation") come. Mt 28:20b and, lo, I am with you alway (at all times), even unto the end ("the complete consummation") of the world (Gr. aíon, "age"). Amen.
· DEAR LORD, We have no right to shuffle Your Words around to make them apply at one time but not another. Forgive us. Forgive me. I have not heeded the Word of Your Commission nor the Word of Your Promise. No longer do I want this to be so.
The promise of His abiding presence remainsJosh 1:5; Ps 46:7; Is 41:10; Mt l8:20; Mk l6:20
DAY 6The last spoken promise of the Lord Jesus was that the Holy Spirit would come.
Ac 1:8,9a However, you shall receive power (dúnamis) coming upon you from the Holy Spirit, and you shall be unto Me witnesses (even martyrs) both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the farthest reaches of the earth. And having spoken these things while they were watching, He was lifted up and a cloud withdrew Him from their eyes.
· PRECIOUS LORD, help me hear the last thing You said before You went back to the Father. Help me hear it today. Let me know that this Word reaches for me. Let me realize its importance even for what I face this very day.
These Words from the Lord Jesus came upon the disciples when they were bewildered by the circumstances upon themAc 1:1-9
THE EARLY DISCIPLES PRESSED THROUGH DIFFICULT TIMES AND BELIEVED THE WORD OF THE LORD. Is there any reason His Word would be less true for us?
DAY 7Through a discipline brought on them by the Lord Jesus, His followers waited.
Ac 1:12,13a,14 Then returned they unto Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is from Jerusalem a sabbath days journey. And when they were come in, they went up into an upper room... These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication. with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren.
· LORD, Ive been too busy to wait before You. Help me slow down. Help me adjust my life so I will have time to wait in Your presence. Bring afresh hunger over on Your people everywhere. Cause us all to begin to wait on Youwith an expectation that Your Spirit will move anew upon us. Come, Holy Spirit!
Here is the Prophet Isaiahs promise to those who wait on the LordIs 25:6-9; Is 40:28-31
DAY 8At the ordained time of the Lord and as the Disciples were waiting, the Holy Spirit came upon them.
Ac 2:1,2 And when the day of Pentecost was fully com, they were all with one accord in one place. And unexpectedly there came out of heaven a sound like a mighty breath taking voice, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
· FATHER, I need by own personal Pentecost. Oh, bring upon me the kind of hunger for the things of Your Kingdom that will make me press through! Make me like those people of old that would not be denied. Fill me, O Lord, fill me with Your Spirit!
God is calling us to return to His Word and to seek His face as He did Israel of oldII Chron 34:21-30
DAY 9The coming of the Holy Spirit brought a phenomenon never known before.
Ac 2:3,4,12,13 And there appeared unto them something like tongues of fire spreading out, and it sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and began to speak with different kinds of tongues, as the Spirit gave it to them to make utterance.... And they were all beside themselves and were utterly at a loss, saying one to another, What does this mean? Others mocking said, These men are full of sweet new wine.
· FATHER, like at Pentecost, I desire for my life to line up with Your Word. Give me the kind of hunger that will seek the truth of Your Word and then wait before You till it comes to fulfillment in me. Like those people of old, help me not turn back when others do not understand.
Even as Jesus told about the Holy Spirit, He said the world would not understandJn 14:16,17; 15:19-21
DAY 10Unstable and timid Peter became a new man after Gods Spirit came upon him.
Mt 26:35 Peter said unto Him, Though I should die with Thee, yet will I not deny Thee. Lk 22:58 And after a little while another saw him, and said, Thou art also of them. And Peter said, Man, I am not. Ac 2:14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words...
· FATHER, I see that difference in Peter after the Holy Spirit came upon him. This gives me hope for myself. Ive been timid and unstable. O bring Your Spirit upon me. Change me into a person useful for Your Kingdom.
We see more of Peters transformationAc 2:37-40
DAY 11As the newly Spirit-filled disciples ministered, miracles took place.
Ac 3:4-4 And Peter, fastening his eves upon him (the lame man at the temple) with John, said, Look on us. And he gave heed unto them, expecting to receive something of them. Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none: but such as I have give I thee: In the Name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk. And he took him by the right hand, and lifted him up: and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength.
· LORD, I think there has never been greater need for miracles in all the world than now. Move upon believers everywhere. Make us into instruments You can use to set people free. Move on me, on these around me. Make us miracle vessels for Your use.
We have the same promises the early disciples hadJn 14:13,14; Jn 15:7,16; Jn 16:23,24
DAY 12Persecution only caused the early disciples to seek the Lord more.
Ac 4:29-31 And now, Lord, behold their threatenings: and grant unto Thy servants, that with all boldness they may speak Thy word, by stretching forth Thine hand to heal: and that signs and wonders may be done by the Name of Thy Holy Child Jesus. And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together: and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and they spake the Word of God with boldness.
· DEAR LORD, help me not to grow weary in seeking Your face, especially when things seem to go wrong. Please encourage Your suffering people in Sudan, in China, in ____. Strengthen them to seek Your face and to believe for miracles.
In the time of trial Gods promises become very dearPs 27:1-14
DAY 13Powerful Gifts of the Spirit like Knowledge worked in the early Church.
Ac 5:2,3 And (Ananias) kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it, at the Apostles' feet. But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Spirit, and to keep back part of the price of the land?
· LORD, the Gift of Knowledge is fearsome. I thank You that it can be balanced by the Wisdom Your Spirit gives. Please bring these Gifts of Your Spirit upon us today. Let them work toward making us pure for You and Your Kingdom.
There is no defiling thing but that the Holy Spirit will search it outPs 44:20,21; Mt 10:26; Lk 8:17
DAY 14The spiritual power of early believers caused the world to hold them in awe.
Ac 5:12a,13,14 And by the hands of the Apostles were many signs and wonders wrought among the people... And of the rest durst no man join himself to them: but the people magnified them ("heaped praise upon them"). And believers were the more added to the Lord multitudes both of men and women.
· FATHER, when good and powerful things happen, help us not to be taken with pride. When others try to praise us, help us to exalt the Lord Jesus, and Him only. Please make us into people for Your glory.
Times of spiritual prosperity and power may be followed by oppositionAc 5:17-28
DAY 15The power of the Holy Spirit also came on believers other than the Apostles.
Ac 6:3,5b,8 Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business... and they chose Stephen... And Stephen, full of faith and power, did great wonders and miracles among the people.
· DEAR LORD, most of us are no more than common servants in Your house. Bring Your Spirit on all of us. Enable us. Empower us. We meet people everywhere in need of miracles. Use us all as instruments to set people free, even in the streets.
It is the way of The Lord to choose unlikely people for His KingdomPs 8:2; Is 42:19; I Cor 1:25-28
AS THE GOSPEL SPREAD, SO DID THE MOVEMENTS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT. There is no Scripture to indicate He would ever cease in His operation of power and miraculous signs.
DAY 16Each of the four Gospels records that the Lord Jesus would baptize His followers in the Holy Spirit.
Mt 3:11 I indeed baptize you with (Gr. en, "in") water unto repentance: but He that cometh after me is mightier than I, Whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: He shall baptize you with (en) the Holy Spirit, and with (en) fire... Jn 1:33 And I knew him not: but He that sent me to baptize with (en) water, the same said unto me, Upon Whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is He Which baptizeth with (en) the Holy Spirit.
· LORD, so many of us in Your body have paid little attention to this Word about what You would do. Please bring repentance upon us all. Cause Your people everywhere to start repenting and believing Your Word.
See these confirming words in the other two GospelsMk 1:8; Lk 3:16
DAY 17Persecution on the early Church caused the Gospel to spread.
Ac 8:lb,4,5 . ..And at that time there was a great persecution against the church which was at Jerusalem and they were all scattered abroad throughout the regions of Judaea and Samaria, except Apostles. ... Therefore they that were scattered abroad went every where preaching the Won Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria, and preached Christ unto them.
· FATHER, most of us know little about persecution. We cant imagine what its like. But, oh! Prepare us for the day when it will become widespread, even here where we live. Let Your Spirit come on us to prepare us for that day.
Jesus taught the disciples they would suffer persecutionMt 10:21,22; Jn 15:18-20; Jn 16:33
DAY 18As the Gospel spread, the Apostles saw to it that new believers received their baptism in the Holy Spirit.
Ac 8: 14,15,17 Now when the Apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the Word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John: Who, when they were come down, prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit.... Then laid they their hands on them and they received the Holy Spirit.
· DEAR LORD, move upon Your ministers today that they will become open to the Gifts of Your Spirit. As He moves in upon us, let those powerful operations of the Spirit we call Faith and Wisdom prevail in the midst of Your people.
The laying on of hands was common practice among early believersAc 6:6; Ac 9:17; Ac 13:3; Ac 19:6; I Tim 4:14
DAY 19When the Holy Spirit moved in the early Church, impure practice was put down.
Ac 8: 18-20 And when Simon saw that through laying on of the Apostles hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money, saving, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands he may receive the Holy Spirit. But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money.
· FATHER, it is awesome what Your Spirit might reveal. When He moves in upon us, convict us that the impurities of our hearts may be drawn out and the Church made pure. Search me. Make me pure.
Open and honest hearts welcome the searching of His SpiritPs 139:1,23,24; Ps 26:2; Rev 2:23
DAY 20When the Lord drew Paul into his calling, He sent Ananias as a Prophet to bring release to him.
Ac 9:15-17 But the Lord said unto him (Ananias), Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear My Name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel: for I will show him how great things he must suffer for My Names sake. And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest hath sent me that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Spirit.
· FATHER, as You let Paul know what You wanted from him, so let me know what You want from me. Send Prophets in Your Church today. Let them confirm the mission and purpose You have for Your people in this awesome hour. Make our mission clear to us, even if it involves suffering.
It we would be mature in our calling, we must press into it even like Paul did into hisPhil 3:12-16
DAY 21When people seek the Lord, even with an imperfect understanding, He responds.
Ac 10:1 There was a certain man in Caesarea called Cornelius, a centurion of the band called the Italian band 35 But in every nation he that feareth Him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with Him 43 To Him (Jesus of Nazareth) give all the Prophets witness, that through His Name whosoever believeth in Him shall receive remission of sins 44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Spirit fell on all them which heard the Word.
· FATHER, like Cornelius, even while my understanding is imperfect, my heart is hungry. I seek Your face. I call upon Your Name. Visit me. Visit us! Cause us to hear Your Word. Let Your Spirit fall on us! Bring us on to be Your people for this hour.
The Lord will respond to those who seek HimPs 9:10; Ps 14:2; Ps 22:26; Ps 27:4,8; Lk 11:13
(For the remainder of the month, review and continue seeking the Lord. Let nothing turn you back till His Spirit has come and you are equipped for the purpose and calling He has for You.)
© Berean Ministries
P.O. Box 38
Elk Park, NC 28622-0038
Visit Us at http://www.maschil.com