Healing in the Human Spirit
...Bringing the Pain in Our Spirits to the Lord
for His Healing Touch
MANY AND VARIED THINGS, often regrettable, can lay hold on our spirits. From their hidden vantage point they issue directions to our mind, our emotions and our will. They send signals to our self-conscience and cause us to act and react in ways that often are not good.
We are ready now to open the troubles in our spirits to the Holy Spirit. We will ask Him to sanctify and heal them that we might become ready for our place of function in God’s Kingdom, and that we might be able to stand in the time of trouble. What we uncover each day are not the demons that try to drive us, but the things in us that attract demons. Every devotion may not apply to you, but you probably know someone to whom it does apply. Pray for them.
DAY 1—Refusing to Charge God for Our Pain
Job 6:1,4 But Job answered and said, . . .the arrows of the Almighty are within me, the poison whereof drinketh up my spirit: the terrors of God do set themselves in array against me. Ps 88:14,15 LORD, why castest Thou off my soul? why hidest Thou Thy face from me? I am afflicted and ready to die from my youth up: while I suffer Thy terrors I am distracted.
• FATHER, I do not want my view of You to be like that of Job before he repented, or the Psalmist. They only saw Your hand of destruction. Forgive me for being distracted like they were. Henceforth, I refuse to charge You for my pain. I simply lay it before You and ask You to sanctify it. I am ready to thank You for it all, so the pain I have laid up in my spirit can become a holy thing in my bosom.
Lifting Our Soul unto the Lord so He Can Heal it—Ps 25:1-8
DAY 2—Renouncing Bitterness in Our Hearts
Jas 3:14 But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth. Eph 4:31 Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger; and clamour; and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice.
• FATHER, I am ready for my bitterness to go. Forgive me for holding on to it for so long. I have said many things out of bitterness. It has been in my actions also. I know I have spread it to others. Forgive me for this. Help me to contact these to whom I have spread it and release them from its hold.
How the Same Fountain Cannot Give Bitter Water and Sweet—Jas 3:7-17
DAY 3—Letting go of the Wounds Inflicted upon Us by Talebearers
Pro 26:22 The words of a talebearer are as wounds, and they go down into the innermost parts of the belly. Mt 5:11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for My sake.
• LORD, honestly, I am more inclined to identify with this verse from Proverbs than what You have said in Matthew. When people have spoken against me, it has become like a wound deep in my belly Now, I am ready to be healed. I forgive those who have spoken against me. I open myself to You for You to heal the deep hurt I hold.
A Prophet’s Admonition Not to Fear Reproach—Isa 51:7,8
DAY 4—Renouncing the Effect of Curse Words Others Have Spoken to Us, and about Us
Lk 6:28 Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you. Rom 12:14 Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not. I Cor 4:12b,13a being reviled, we bless; being persecuted, we suffer it: being defamed, we entreat...
• DEAR LORD, if any one knows what it means to be cursed by men, You do. So please teach me how to respond when others curse me. Help me not to take the curse into my spirit. Bring forth in me that powerful operation of Your Spirit that will enable me to return a blessing upon each one who reviles me.
How We Have Jesus as an Example—I Pet 2:19-25
DAY 5—Purging of Spirits from Unforgiveness
Mt 18:33 Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee? Mt 6:14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.
• FATHER, help me. I want to forgive every person who has wounded me and against whom I hold resentment. But it is difficult. They are many. Help me to remember each one so I can set them free from the resentment I hold against them. Please draw them into Your mercy. Help them find freedom to ask forgiveness for what they did.
A Great Lesson from Jesus on Forgiving—Mt 18:21-35
DAY 6—Rejecting Hatred that Has Come against Us
Jn 15:18 If the world hate you, ye know that it hated Me before it hated you. Lk 6:22,27 Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man’s sake.. .1 say unto you which hear; Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you.
• FATHER, it just doesn‘t feel good being hated by anyone. If people don’t like me, I have the tendency to store this in my spirit and not like them in return. This has defiled my spirit. I’m sure it has grieved Your Spirit. I want to be clean from this. Please send Your holy fire to burn it all from me. Teach me to return love for hatred.
The Master Lesson from Jesus on How to Deal with Those Who Oppose Us—Mt 5:44; Lk 6:27,28,34,35
DAY 7—Giving Our Broken Hearts over to Healing
Ps 109:22 ...I am poor and needy, and my heart is wounded within me. Ps 147:3 He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds. Zech 13:6 And one shall say unto Him, What are these wounds in Thine hands? Then He shall answer; Those with which I was wounded in the house of My friends.
• GRACIOUS LORD, what I’ve gone through has left a wound in my heart. I seem unable to recover from it. The ones who wounded me keep coming to my mind. I relive over and again what took place. I feel the pain of it every time I think of them. In all this, help me see that You were wounded for me—to heal me. I bring my hurt to You and present it to the power of Your Spirit for healing.
Seeing that Jesus Paid It All—Isa 53:5; I Pet 3:18
DAY 8—Putting away All Personal Offense
Mt 24:10 And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another. Lk 21:16 And ye shall be betrayed both by parents, and brethren, and kinsfolk, and friends; and some of you shall they cause to be put to death. Mk 11:26 But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses.
• DEAR LORD, this is a deep weakness in me. I hold on to offense terribly when I am betrayed, even in small matters. Unless You heal me, I will not stand in the time of betrayal that Jesus said would come. Reach into my spirit and draw out the feelings of betrayal that have lodged there. Give me the grace to forgive and forget.
The Strong Lesson from Jesus on Withstanding Betrayal—Mt 10:16-27
DAY 9—Finding Healing from the Pain that Came when Lies Were Told to Hurt Us
Ps 35:11,12 False witnesses did rise up; they laid to my charge things that I knew not. They rewarded me evil for good to the spoiling of my soul. Mt 26:59 Now the chief priests, and elders, and all the council, sought false witness against Jesus, to put Him to death. Lk 23:34a Then said Jesus, Father; forgive them; for they know not what they do.
• FATHER, I believe lies have been told to hurt me. The pain of this has gotten into my spirit and is making me bitter. Before I go on, I forgive those I believe told the lies. I forgive those who believed them. Cleanse my spirit of the bitterness and resentment that has taken hold of me. Help me release blessing upon those who I think lied.
A Word from Jesus. an Admonition from Peter—Mt 5:11; I Pet 3:15-17
DAY 10—Putting away the Discouragement that Anger from Our Parents Brought on Us
Col 3:21 Fathers, provoke not your children to anger, lest they be discouraged. Pro 12:25 Heaviness in the heart of man maketh it stoop: but a good word maketh it glad. Eph 6:4 And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.
• HEAVENLY FATHER, I grew up with anger all around me. I was yelled at and belittled and made to feel I could never do anything right. Although I am grown now, I still hold these feelings. Any anger from anyone causes me to react with resentment and fear. Please heal me.
The Chastening that Heals—Heb 12:5-11
DAY 11—Putting away the Feeling of Shame that Has Followed Us Since Our Youth
Ps 44:15 My confusion is continually before me, and the shame of my face hath covered me. Ps 69:19 Thou hast known my reproach, and my shame, and my dishonour: mine adversaries are all before Thee. Rev 3:18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.
• FATHER, I have lived with shame. Something must have placed it in me early in life. I always feel as though I have done something wrong and that everyone can see it. It has been a silent plague eating away at my inner man. Please heal me so I may become whole for Your Kingdom.
The Promise that Shame Shall Be no More—Is 54:4; 61:7
DAY 12—Renouncing the Sense of Failure We Have toward the Lord, and toward Others
Song of Sol 5:6 I opened to my Beloved; but my Beloved had withdrawn Himself and was gone: my soul failed when He spake: I sought Him, but! could not find Him; I called Him, but He gave me no answer Lk 22:32a But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not.
• LORD, there is something in me that always makes me feel I have failed You. I believe this too goes back to when I was a child. Many times I was made to feel like a failure by my mother and my father. I grew up feeling I could never please them. I am ready now to renounce this feeling. I ask for Your healing power in this part of me.
Finding an Intercessor Who Always Cares for Us, even when We Have Failed—Heb 7:19-25
DAY 13—Giving up the Feeling that We are Inferior
Job 17:14 I have said to corruption, Thou art my father: to the worm, Thou art my mother, and my sister. Ps 138:6a Though the LORD be high, yet hath He respect unto the lowly... Isa 57:15 For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity whose Name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.
• FATHER, forgive me for centering so much on myself by always feeling that I am inferior. I confess there are no people inferior in Your sight. I want to find such fellowship with You that I forget myself. Help me know I can live in Your presence and rejoice in Your mercy. Show me the value I can have in Your Kingdom.
The Lowly, to Whom the Lord Will Look—Isa 66:1,2
DAY 14—Taking Our Freedom from the Feeling that We Have Been Forsaken
Isa 54:1 Sing, O barren, thou that didst not bear; break forth into singing, and cry aloud, thou that didst not travail with child: for more are the children of the desolate than the children of the married wife, saith the LORD. Isa 62:4 Thou shalt no more be termed Forsaken; neither shall thy land any more be termed Desolate: but thou shalt be called Hephzibah ("My Delight Is in Her"), and thy land Beulah ("Married"): for the LORD delighteth in thee, and thy land shall be married.
• DEAR LORD, it has been difficult for me to trust You completely. Now I can see why. It is because I have the feeling, deep in my spirit, that You will forsake me just like everyone else has. This goes back to when I trusted some people who were ministering the Gospel and they failed me. I forgive them. Oh, please heal the wound they left in me. Make me fruitful for Your Kingdom.
Discovering the Eternal Faithfulness of God—Ps 9:10; Isa 49:15,16
DAY 15—Taking Our Freedom from the Resentment of Being Made to Feel like a Fool
Job 12:4a I am as one mocked of his neighbour... Ps 22:7,8 All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying, He trusted on the LORD that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him.
• LORD, resentment over being made a fool has taken hold of me. Instead of meditating on Your Word, I have meditated on how to get revenge. This is, indeed, making me act like a fool. I renounce all this. It is foolish. I am ready now to forgive those who ridiculed. Let Your blessing come upon them, and Your strength upon me.
Learning Not to Avenge Ourselves—Rom 12:14-19
DAY 16—Putting away Our Continuing Grief
Ps 77:4b . . .I am so troubled that I cannot speak. Job 6:2,3a Oh that my grief were thoroughly weighed, and my calamity laid in the balances together! For now it would be heavier than the sand of the sea... Mt 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
• LORD, many things weigh upon me heavily and make me grieve. I grieve for my loss and for my family. I grieve because of our failure—and our refusal—to trust You completely. But today, I turn all of it over to You lest it bring me down to despair. Please send Your healing Spirit upon us all. Bring repentance where we need to repent.
A Psalm to Turn Us from Our Grief—Ps 30:1-12
DAY 17—Casting Away Our Heaviness
Ps 69:20a Reproach hath broken my heart; and I am full of heaviness... Pro 12:25a Heaviness in the heart of man maketh it stoop... Isa 61:la,3a The spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to.. appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness...
• FATHER, sometimes heaviness comes over me like a dark cloud. It brings worry and depression. Some days it is even difficult for me to desire living. But now, I believe this is a matter of my spirit. I renounce the hold that heaviness has on me. I command the spirits it has attracted to depart from me, at once, in Jesus’ Name.
An Invitation to the Heavy Laden—Mt 11:28,29
DAY 18—Renouncing Our Disposition to Find Fault
Mt 7:3-5 And why beholdest thou the mote ("tiny speck") that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam ("plank") that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother; Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother’s eye.
• LORD, there is something in me that makes me find the smallest fault in another person. While they may have many things good about them, I find the little that is wrong. Forgive me. I want this out of my disposition. Help me bring out the good in the people around me. Fill me with joy so it will rub off on the people I meet.
A Command that We Judge Not—Mt 7:1; Lk 6:37
DAY 19—Renouncing Infatuations with People that Distract Us from the Lord
II Sam 14:25 But in all Israel there was none to be so much praised as Absalom for his beauty: from the sole of his foot even to the crown of his head there was no blemish in him. II Sam 15:6b ... so Absalom stole the hearts of the men of lsrael... II Sam 19:l0a And Absalom, whom we anointed over us, is dead in battle...
• LORD, I no longer want to be led because I am infatuated with a person. I have been prone to accept people according to their outward appearance and apparent talents. Give me a discernment with regard to the persons with whom I should go. Help me not to be so taken with them that I lose sight of You. Give me a clean heart in all my association with others.
A Psalm of David when Absalom Withstood Him—Ps 3
DAY 20—Putting away Our Insecurity
Isa 42:161 will bring the blind by a way that they knew not; I will lead them in paths that they have not known: I will make darkness light before them, and crooked things straight. These things will I do unto them, and not forsake them. Heb 13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for He hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
• FATHER, I have looked for security in all the wrong places. One after the other has failed me and left my spirit fearful. But on this day—at this moment—I confess that You alone are faithful. You have kept me and You will continue to guard me through all that lies ahead. I rest secure in Your love and mercy.
The Refuge that is Sure—Deut 33:27; Isa 26:4; Isa 40:28,29
DAY 21—Renouncing the Fear of Man
Pro 29:25 The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the LORD shall be safe. Heb 13:5,6 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. So that we may boldly say The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.
• FATHER, for too long I have been afraid of what people will think, or say, or do to me. This goes back to when I was a child and I was made to be afraid. It is an affliction upon me. Please set me free from its hold. Purge the way I feel about myself Make me so I can stand freely in the presence of others and give a good witness for You.
The Admonition to Stir up One’s Gift—Il Tim 1:6-14
DAY 22—Renouncing Lusts that Lead Us from God
Jas 1:14,15 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. Gal 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
• DEAR LORD, there is a strong desire in my spirit to serve You, but there is also a strong pull from my flesh. Please set me free to worship You and to serve You without the darkness of unclean desire. I am weary from the warfare that has been raging in me. Let conviction come upon me. Reveal the work of Your Cross in me.
How Ungodly Lust Will Increase in the Last Days—II Pet 3:3.4; Jude 16-19
DAY 23—Finding Relief from the Guilt We Suffer
Rom 3:19 Now we know that what things soever the Law saith, it saith to them who are under the Law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. Jas 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole Law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. Gal 3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree.
• FATHER, I still bear guilt for things I did in the past. And yet, I know I have trusted in Your salvation. This guilt is in my spirit and in my conscience. I am ready to be free from its hold. Therefore I confess—ANEW—today that the blood of Jesus Christ Your Son cleanses from all sin. He is the propitiation for all my sin. I am free in Him!
Christ: Our Propitiation, the Bearer of Our Guilt, the One in Whom Sin’s Penalty Was Paid—Rom 3:25; I Jn 2:2; 4:10
DAY 24—Finding Relief from Unbelief
Jn 20:27 Then saith He to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger; and behold My hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into My side: and be not faithless, but believing. Heb 3:12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.
• PRECIOUS LORD, by nature, I have always been skeptical. Unbelief and distrust have been my companions for too long. This day, I renounce them. I put them away. I present my spirit to Your Spirit for cleansing and healing. Oh, make of me an utterly believing believer!
The Building of Faith from the Word of God—Rom 10:17; Ps 19:7-11; Ps 119:105,130
GO BACK NOW and consider some of the days again. Let the Holy Spirit continue His healing search through your spirit. Let Him release the power and strength of His Kingdom in you.
© Berean Ministries
P.O. Box 38
Elk Park, NC 28622-0038
Visit Us at http://www.maschil.com