Leaving the Circle of Our Private War
...to Hold Others Before the Throne
of God's Grace in Their War
THIS IS PRAYING that calls for a discipline. It requires a determination to leave one's own private war and enter the battle for someone else–or for as many as you can hold in your circle of intercession.
Our praying this month is about wisdom and revelation. We gain the beginning of our inspiration from Ephesians 1:15-17 from which we formulate our praying. We see that Paul was asking that the spirit of wisdom and revelation would find release in those he was holding in prayer. He believed this should come in the acknowledgment of Jesus Christ.
We discovered there are several sources–some impure–from which wisdom and revelation might come. Each is like a fountainhead from which will flow the reasonings and ideas that make up the way a person responds to everyday life and situations. Much ungodly wisdom is reaching for people today. This calls for much praying. These are not prayers of control. They are, instead, prayers of intercession to hold others in the presence of the Lord that His wisdom might be formed in them, and that the revelation of God's grace and power might come over them. The "prayer starters" this month are different. We hope you can adapt them to your particular circles of prayer.
DAY 1–Taking on a Care for Others
& Ephesians 1:16,17–(I) cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers; that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him...
FATHER, I desperately need wisdom for myself. My situations are beyond my reasoning ability. But I step out of my circle of need to bring these others before You. I love them and care for them, and am inclined to worry about them. But now-I renounce worrying and simply hold them in Your presence. Let Your Spirit begin to release Your wisdom in them.
The wisdom in the simple Gospel of Christ exceeds all the wisdom of the world–
I Corinthians 1:17-30.
DAY 2–Coming to Know God's Hidden Wisdom which He Ordained unto Our Glory
& Romans 6:25,26a–Now to him that is of power to establish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began, but now is made manifest...
& I Corinthians 2:7–But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory.
• DEAR FATHER, how marvelous that You ordained a wisdom from out of eternity to work in us who trust Your Son! Since our own wisdom has failed over and over, we yield to Yours. Teach us to wait before You till we know its release in us. Now, I request this for these others I hold before Your Throne.
In Ephesians we can see the mystery of God's hidden wisdom unfold–Ephesians 3:1-10.
BECAUSE OF THE RAGE that works in so many boys and young men, and that leads to unwise actions, we form the following prayers in their behalf. Or, they can be adapted for young women or girls. Sometimes, it seems all we can do in their behalf is pray for them-and love them.
DAY 3–Praying He Will Be Drawn to God's Word
& Psalms 119:9–Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to Thy Word.
Psalms119:105–Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
• FATHER, I hold this one before You that there may arise in him a new desire toward Your Word. Draw him to it. Cause him to want to read his Bible and think on it. Release in him the understanding that comes from it. Help him heed its wisdom that he might be cleansed from the impure way that is rising up in him.
We are learning to turn our faith away from the wisdom of man to the power of God–I Corinthians 2:1-9.
DAY 4–Praying He Will Reject Ungodly Wisdom
& Ezekial 11:2–Then said he unto me, Son of man, these are the men that devise mischief and give wicked counsel in this city.
& Psalms119 36:3–The words of his mouth are iniquity and deceit: he hath left off to be wise, and to do good.
• FATHER, this one I hold before You came under the counsel of wicked men. It brought him to a point of trouble that will not let go. Please open his eyes to see where his companions are leading him. Draw them all to repentance and to faith. Show them the wise way out of their trouble.
We can see God's light and gain wisdom through the darkness–Psalm119 36:1-9.
DAY 5–Praying He Will Put Off Envy and Strife
& James 3:14,15–But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth. This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish.
• FATHER, the strife this one has seen and known has caused him to store hate and envy in his heart. Please heal him. Help him reject the way of thinking that makes him retaliate. Help him put off the wisdom that comes from the enemy and only brings sorrow. As I hold him in Your presence, heal his emotions so he can lay hold on the pure wisdom You give.
There is danger in rejecting God's wisdom, great reward in receiving it–Proverbs 16:18; 18:12; 22:4.
DAY 6–Praying His Counsel from Others Will Come with Godly Wisdom
& Proverbs 24:6–For by wise counsel thou shalt make thy war: and in multitude of counsellors there is safety.
Proverbs 11: 14a–Where no counsel is, the people will fall...
Proverbs 15:22–Without counsel purposes are disappointed..
• GRACIOUS LORD, let right counsel come to this one I hold before You. Even as he picks up ideas from his associates, let it all be purified by Your Spirit. Help him retain what is right and know how to reject what is wrong. With the instruction he receives, let discernment come with it.
Sometimes the counsel of well-meaning persons can be wrong in God's sight–Job 4:1; 5:27; 42:7.
DAY 7–Praying He Will Grow in Godly Wisdom
& Psalm 27:11–Teach me Thy way, O LORD, and lead me in aplain path, because of mine enemies.
& Psalm 143:10–Teach me to do Thy will; for Thou art my God: Thy Spirit is good; lead me into the land of uprightness.
& Psalm 32:8–I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with Mine eye.
•DEAR FATHER, this precious person I hold before You has already made mistakes. He has done wrong. In Your mercy, take what he has done and help him learn in it what is right. Give him the wisdom to come out of the mess he had made. Help him learn never to walk that way again. And, DEAR FATHER, as he comes out of the wrong, make him into an instrument of help for others who got caught in the same trap.
There is wisdom to be gained by humbling one's self under the mighty hand of God–I Peter 5:5-11.
THE NEXT FEW DAYS of prayers are formed for a woman interceding for her husband-or they could be adapted to a man praying for his wife. In this praying, marriages and families can be saved from-or brought back from-great trouble.
DAY 8–Praying He Will Recognize His Lack and Seek God
& James 1:5–If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
& Matthew 7:7–Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.
• FATHER, this is a dear man I am holding before You. I love him and thank You for him. But, he struggles. Please embrace him today with Your Spirit and draw him to seek Your face. Put it in his heart to ask You for wisdom. Release in him the Spirit of Wisdom.
We can see what will happen when wisdom enters the heart of a man–Proverbs 2:10-20.
DAY 9–Praying He Will Find the Simplicity of Life that Is in Wisdom and Understanding
& Proverbs 3:13,21,22–Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding.... My son, let not them depart from thine eyes: keep sound wisdom and discretion: so shall they be life unto thy soul, and grace to thy neck.
• GRACIOUS LORD, I continue holding my husband before You. Help him be tender to what You want for his life. Let Your Spirit bring wisdom and understanding over upon him today. Let them embrace him in all his dealings. Give him understanding and light for the path we are walking together.
The way of wisdom is the way of life–Proverbs 4:5-13.
DAY 10–Praying He Will Put away Wrong Counsel and Remain open to Godly Wisdom
& Psalm 1:1,2–Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.
• FATHER, with the authority You give me in Christ Jesus, I loose my husband from all ungodly counsel that has come to him. Draw him by Your Spirit to what is right. Bring him to the place where he will delight in the ways of Your Kingdom. Teach him the way of Your Kingdom that he might lead us in it.
To become wise with God may mean becoming foolish in the eyes of the world–I Corinthians 3:18,19; Matthew 18:4.
DAY 11–Praying My Husband Will Discover the Meekness of Godly Wisdom
& James 3:13–Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him show out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom.
& Zephaniah 2:3–Seek ye the LORD, all ye meek of the earth, which have wrought his judgment; seek righteousness, seek meekness: it may be ye shall be hid in the day of the LORD'S anger.
• DEAR FATHER, draw this man I love to seek meekness. Let the meekness of Your wisdom work in him and through him so he can stand–and help us stand–in the difficult days that are so close upon us.
We take note of God's promises to the meek–Psalm 22:26; 25:9; 37:11; 147:6; 149:6; Matthew 5:5.
DAY 12–Praying One's Family Will Embrace the Wisdom of God's Way
& Romans 11:33–O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!
• DEAR LORD, I bring each one in my family before Your Throne and loose them from the corrupt wisdom of this world. Move upon each one today with desire for the wisdom You bring. Help me, help my husband and our children embrace the wisdom of Your Word. Draw us to love Your Word and to seek its light.
We are ready to find our delight in God's Word–Psalm 17:4; 107:20; 119:9-16.
DAY 13–Together, Finding the Purity of Wisdom that Is from Above
& James 3:17–But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be entreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.
& Philippians 4:8–Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
• FATHER, please release this upon my whole family. In wisdom, help us hold on to what is true. I name each one before You that You might draw forth honesty in us, even when it hurts. Help us be just in our dealings with others. Keep purity upon us. Help us love things that are lovely and good and virtuous. Help us walk in wisdom toward the world.
We are ready to find our delight in God's Word–Psalm 17:4; 107:20; 119:9-16.
DAY 14–The question may arise as to whether we should pray for the release of wisdom in the lives of those who don't know the Lord Jesus as Savior.
Yes, indeed! The spirit of wisdom can help bring a soul to repentance and to the acceptance of Him. This is the greatest move of wisdom anyone can make.
& Psalm 19:7–The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
& Psalm 119:129,130–Thy testimonies are wonderfial: therefore doth my soul keep them. The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple.
• DEAR LORD, these in my family don't yet know You in a personal way. Please bring the spirit of wisdom upon them so they will see what they are doing in not giving their lives over to You. I hold them in Your presence. Let them feel Your love, and know Your grace, and open up to Your salvation.
WE HAVE WATCHED people become confused when the new flow of wisdom begins working in them. This is because the wisdom from the Holy Spirit sometimes sets up conflict with the way many people are accustomed to thinking. Some even suppose they are losing their ability to make decisions. As intercessors, we learn to press on when we see this confusion coming. We pray on because we know the Holy Spirit will set flowing a fountain of pure wisdom.
DAY 15–Holding Government Leaders before God's Throne that Wisdom Be Released in Them
& I Timothy 2:1-3–I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; for kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour.
• FATHER, I name before Your Throne these men, and these women, who lead in government. For the sake of our country, release Your wisdom upon them. Grant them knowledge and understanding in ways that are right in Your eyes. Bring integrity and uprightness upon them. Cause them to govern with honesty and with justice.
We pray for the righteous Government of Christ to come in all the earth–Psalm 72.
IN EPHESIANS 1:17, from which we take our praying for this month, we also find request for the spirit of revelation. Revelation is the making clear of something once hidden. Even though it is a powerful and good thing, it may start a process that is painful in its beginning. But eventually it opens the way for the entrance of Christ's healing power.
DAY 16–Praying Someone Loved Will See the Actual Condition of His Own Soul
& John 3:19–And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
& John 16:8,9–And when He is come, He will reprove ("convict" or "convince") the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: of sin, because they believe not on Me...
• FATHER, because of Your mercy, open the understanding of this dear one so he can see the condition of his own soul. I know this is where the real pain enters, but please don't hold back. Bring the spirit of revelation upon him so he can know how much he needs Your grace. Bring this upon me too, and upon these others I hold before You. Show us so we can all be healed.
The Lord extends His gentle invitation to those weary of sin–Matthew 11:28; Isiah 55:1-3.
DAY 17–The Revelation of Christ
& Philippians 3:8-lOa–Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for Whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, and be found in Him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: that I may know Him, and the power of His resurrection...
• LORD, help us all simply to know You, Bring us to the place where we can acknowledge You in all our ways. Help us live in the revelation of Your presence with us. Let the revelation of Your presence attend us wherever we go today, so others can know.
We can actually know Him That is true–I John 5:20; II Peter 1:3; II 3:18.
DAY 18–The Revelation of Truth as It Unfolds from the Word of God.
& Proverbs 6:23–For the Commandment is a lamp; and the Law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life.
& Ephesians 5:13 But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light.
& Psalm 119:1621 rejoice at Thy Word, as one that findeth great spoil
• FATHER, how I long for the revelation and understanding that comes from Your Word. Increase in me–and in these I hold before You–a hunger for its truth. Show us Your ways in it. Show us Yourself in it. Let us rejoice in ft.
We renounce dishonesty as we open ourselves to the light and truth of God's Word–II Corinthians 4:1-5.
DAY 19–The Supernatural Revelation the Holy Spirit Brings
& I Corinthians 12:8–For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit...
• DEAR FATHER, I know this is not a thing to be lightly sought after. I know it brings with it a great responsibility. Nonetheless, I lay my soul before You that You might release in me the unveiled truth about the situations I'm in and about the people I'm with. Balance this with the wisdom born of Your Spirit so I can respond in a manner that is right in Your eyes.
Our greatest example is in the Lord Jesus with this woman at the well–John 4:1-26.
DAY 20–Praying the Spirit of Wisdom and Revelation Will Come in the Knowledge of Christ
& Knowledge (in Ephesians 1:17) is from the Greek epignosis, a strong word meaning "full knowledge" or "acknowledgment." The way the passage reads in the Greek could lead to two interpretations. It could mean, "I am praying God will give you the spirit of wisdom and revelation so you can come to the full knowledge of Christ." Or. it could mean. "I am praying God will give you the spirit of wisdom and revelation that comes from your knowledge of Christ." The first leads to knowing Christ in a greater measure because wisdom and knowledge are working. The second reads to a greater release of wisdom and knowledge because Christ is known. Both are right. Think on this and then pray. Ask the Holy Spirit to help you.
© Berean Ministries
P.O. Box 38
Elk Park, NC 28622-0038
Visit Us at http://www.maschil.com