On Light Coming into
Our Darkened Understanding
IT IS RATHER SIGNIFICANT that there are thirteen verses in the Greek New Testament making use of the word dianoia. Thirteen is the number associated with the evil one. Could this be a suggestion that this part of our soul—the mind as it pierces through the darkness around it—has come under surveillance by the evil one to maintain his base of operation in us, from which he intends to defeat us? Even if this is his design, it need not determine the outcome of the baffle. For some days we will take these thirteen Scriptures and hold ourselves and others before them to allow them to work in us. This will help equip us to move with Christ into His Kingdom and overcome that evil one with his dark plan to bring us down.
THE ADMONITION OF THE LORD JESUS IS THAT WE GIVE OUR DIANOIA OVER TO LOVING GOD, WITHHOLDING NOTHING FROM HIM.
DAY 1—In her Magnificat Mary revealed how an imagination ruled by a proud heart will pull one down.
Luke 1:48-51 For He hath regarded the low estate of His handmaiden: for behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed. For He that is mighty hath done to me great things: and holy is His Name. And His mercy is on them that fear Him from generation to generation. He hath showed strength with His arm: He hath scattered the proud in the imagination (“the dianoia”) of their hearts...
GRACIOUS LORD, let me see that even in the barrenness of my own life, I can have hope. My years have flown. The desires I cherished have become corrupt in me. The pride of my mind has pulled me down and I feel shut out from Your promise. I have but one door open, and that is Your mercy. Oh, show me now Your grace and draw me on in Your mercy!
God gives grace to the humble—Jas 4:6-10
DAY 2—Jesus made clear that our heart, soul and mind find their meaning in loving God.
Matthew 22:35-39 Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked Him a question, tempting Him, and saying, Master which is The Great Commandment in the Law? Jesus said unto him. Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind (“your dianoia”). This is the first and Great Commandment. And the second is like unto it--Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
FATHER, the part in me most greatly damaged is my ability to love. This is where I’ve been hurt. I’ve come to the point of not understanding what love is. This is frightening to me. My mind needs healing so it can love. Please help me learn to love both You and the people around me—unconditionally.
Faith and love meet together for us in Christ Jesus—I Jn 5:1-5
DAY 3—Jesus made clear how love calls for all our strength as it leads us to a new mind.
Mark 12:28-31 And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that He had answered them well asked Him, Which is the first commandment of all? And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord: and thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind (“your dianoia”), and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. And the second is like it, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.
·DEAR LORD, please show me how great love is in Your Kingdom. I’ve neglected its development in my understanding. I’ve let too many people go by without letting them see Your love in action in me. Oh, forgive me! Teach me to let love be so strong a force in me that everyone around me will know it.
DAY 4—People with worldly wisdom will try and draw our mind away from Jesus.
Luke 10:25-28 And behold. a certain lawyer stood and tempted Him, saying, Master what shall I do to inherit eternal life? He said unto him, What is written in the Law? how readest thou?And he answering said Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind (“your dianoia”); and thy neighbour as thyself. And He said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.
· LORD, I’ve found that loving requires strength. This is running very low in my life. Sometimes I find it almost impossible to love. Oh, give me Your strength! Let Your love find its place in me and move through me to these for whom I have little love remaining.
The love of Christ’s Kingdom requires that we show compassion toward those in need—I Jn 3:16-18
Following Paul, we become friends of the heavenly Kingdom and useful for its purposes in the earth.
DAY 5—Before being made alive in Christ, our darkened mind teams with our flesh to trap us in nature’s wrath.
Ephesians 2:1-3 And you hath He quickened (“made alive”), who were dead in trespasses and sins: wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the Prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: among whom also we all had our conversation (“manner of life”) in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind (“the dianoia"); and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.
· LORD, I’ve been of a weak nature, but I praise You for the new Life that is becoming mine in Christ Jesus. Today I face a challenge I cannot meet alone. Teach me in my weakness to live out of the strength Your Life and nature are imparting to me.
DAY 6—A darkened understanding will alienate us from all that can be ours in Christ.
Ephesians 4:17,18 This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye hence forth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind (“their nous"), having the understanding (“the dianoia") darkened, beinf alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart...
· LORD, I confess it: my darkened understanding shall no longer rule me. I present it before You so the Light of Your Word will enter. Let it come into me with new force and conviction. Let it dispel my ignorance of Your ways. Let me walk in the light and life that comes from constant communion with You.
DAY 7—Paul instructs us to pray that light will come in our understanding so we will know for certain what God wants.
Ephesians 1:16-18a (I) cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers: that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory may give unto you the Spirit of Wisdom and Revelation in the knowledge of Him: the eyes of your understanding (“your dianoia") being enlightened: that ye may know WHAT is the hope of His calling...
· LORD, please release Your light in my understanding. Do this in these I hold before You. Let us no longer be under the rule of spiritual darkness. Even as the days become darker, let Your light increase in us. Teach us how to walk and live in the dark days.
DAY 8—He leads us to pray the light will come into our understanding so we can know how precious we are to the Lord.
Ephesians 1:16-18b (I) cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers: that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the Spirit of Wisdom and Revelation in the knowledge of Him: the eyes of your understanding (“your dianoia") being enlightened: that ye may know... WHAT the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints.
· DEAR LORD, I need Your light to know how precious I am to You. Sometimes lately there’s been darkness around me. I’ve not felt Your love and I’ve let doubt come in my mind. Oh, forgive me for allowing this darkness! Please show me—show us—Your light and Your love today.
DAY 9—Paul further leads us to pray light will come into our understanding so we can know how great is God’s power to us.
Ephesians 1:16-18b (I) cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers: that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, give unto you the Spirit of Wisdom and Revelation in the knowledge of Him: the eyes of your understanding (“your dianoia") being enlightened: that ye may know... WHAT is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power...
· FATHER, the weakness that tries to rule me is stronger than I am. Some days I feel I can do nothing but fail. Oh, please send light into my understanding so I can know how great Your power is toward us who are weak! Let me understand it.
DAY 10—After light has come to our darkened mind once separating us from God, we can know we are reconciled with Him.
Colossians 1:21, 22 And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind (“your dianoia”) by wicked works, yet now hath He reconciled in the body of His flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in His sight...
· O FATHER, what peace now is mine! We are reconciled! I am finding my place in Your bosom! There is no more fear of standing before You. Oh, teach me what this reconciliation between us means! Show me what boldness and freedom now are mine.
FROM THE TIME OF THE COVENANTS, IT HAS BEEN GOD’S PURPOSE TO WRITE HIS LAWS IN OUR DIANOIA. This will distinguish us as His people.
DAY 11—In the New Covenant, God’s Laws become written in our mind.
Hebrews 8:9,10 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in My Covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord. For this is the Covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put My Laws into their mind (“their dianoia"), and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to Me a people...
· FATHER—Oh, You are my Father now!—Please place within me the desire and strength to fulfill all Your will. Teach me, even in the minor affairs of my life, to live in the righteousness that Your Kingdom demands. Let nothing break our communion so I can walk as a child of Your Kingdom.
DAY 12—In Christ, the righteousness of God’s Laws becomes placed in our minds.
Hebrews 10:14-16 For by one offering He hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified. Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that He had said before, this is the Covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put My Laws into their hearts and in their minds (“their dianoia") will I write them...
· FATHER, thank You for making me perfect in Your eyes. Oh, yes! Christ Jesus is my perfection! Thank You for the witness You have allowed the Holy Spirit to give me. Please let this increase in me. Thank You for placing in me an understanding of Your righteousness. It is an inward righteousness. Oh, let desire for this only increase in me today!
In Christ we have the better hope of an unchangeable priesthood—Heb 7:19-25
TWO OTHER APOSTLES VERY CLOSE TO THE LORD ADMONISH US TO PRESENT OUR DIANOIA FOR HIS CONTROL. This will prepare us for the contlict of the last days.
DAY 13—Peter calls us to bring under control the undisciplined ways of our mind.
I Peter 1:13,15 Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind (“your dianoia"), be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ... But as He which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation...
· LORD, my undisciplined mind has been another point of weakness with me. I am ready now to submit this to You and to the authority of Your Kingdom. Please give me a mind under control that will not wander from You. I want my mind stayed on You.
DAY 14—Peter’s second Letter was written with the design of stirring up our pure minds.
II Peter 3:1-3 This second Epistle, beloved. I now write unto you: in both which I stir up your pure minds (“your dianoia") by way of remembrance: that ye may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy Prophets, and of the commandment of us the Apostles of the Lord and Saviour: knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts...
· LORD, restore in me the deep love for Your Word I once knew. I want my mind and heart to be stirred toward Your Kingdom. Make me teachable and pliable. Bring me to repentance wherever it is necessary. Make me ready to withstand the attacks coming on against Your Kingdom.
Who can stand before the Lord in His Kingdom?—Ps 24:3-9
DAY 15—John points us to the knowledge ready to come in our understanding.
I John 5:18-20 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not (“continues not in sin”); but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not (“does not meddle in his life”). And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness (“lies under the influence of the wicked one”). And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding (“a dianoia"), that we may know Him that is true, and we are in Him that is true, even in His Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.
· FATHER, I lay my hands on my own head with this prayer: Give me an understanding to know You in all truth, —to know Christ Jesus in His fullness,—and to know how to maintain my standing with You that keeps me from the evil one. Whatever fierce day awaits me, I will to know Your triumph in it.
Jesus will open our eyes, He will open the Scriptures, He will open our understanding—Lk 24:27-45
PSALM 119 CONTAINS A TREASURY OF PRAYERS FOR UNDERSTANDING GOD’S WAY. On some days when we know not how to pray, this wonderfully long Psalm 119 offers help. The eight verses of each division of the Psalm begin with the successive letters of the Hebrew alphabet. Each division has a prayer to help us understand how we may walk in His way. Repeated throughout are a number of words with reference to the Wonderful Word of God.
DAY 16—Taking note of the divisions of Ps 119, we find many prayers to help us understand the ways of God’s Kingdom.
Psalm 119:4-6 Thou hast commanded us to keen Thy PRECEPTS diligently. O that my ways were directed to keep Thy STATUTES! Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all Thy COMMANDMENTS.
· FATHER, Your precepts upon my life are sometimes more than I can understand. I feel I have failed all too much. Oh, today, help me walk in them! Help me have full respect for all You have commanded of me. I am ready to find this help in Christ Jesus. I am ready for Him to live in me.
We take all the first eight verses of the Psalm and make them our prayer for today
DAY 17—Moving on with the Psalm, we find help toward hiding God’s Word in our heart.
Psalm 119:10,11,14 With my whole heart have I sought Thee: O let me not wander from Thy COMMANDMENTS. Thy WORD have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against Thee. I have rejoiced in the way of Thy TESTIMONIES, as much as in all riches.
· FATHER, the wealth of my life is coming to be the understanding You are giving me in Your Word. Oh, let my hunger and my thirst increase toward it! Feed me upon it that I may grow up thereby and become a useful person for Your Kingdom on earth.
The second part of the Psalm gives help for a young person who wills to serve God—Ps 119:9-16
Take note of these words through Psalm 119 as we continue to make use of the Psalm in praying.
1. The Law—From a word meaning “to guide; to direct; to teach.”
2. Testimonies—From a word meaning “to bear witness; to point out the path.”
3. Statutes—From a word meaning “to give a decree; to ordain.”
4. Way—From a word meaning “a journey; a going”
5. Precepts—From a word meaning “to give a charge or an appointment.”
6. Judgments—From a word meaning “to judge; to determine what is right; to regulate.”
7. Word—Sometimes from a word meaning “to bring forth; to give light; to utter.”
8. Word—Other times from a word meaning “to arrange in order; to set forth in speech.”
9. Commandments—From a word meaning “to to set up; to constitute.”
© Berean Ministries
P.O. Box 38
Elk Park, NC 28622-0038
Visit Us at http://www.maschil.com