Listening Closely before He Went back to His Father’s Side
DAY 1—Jesus set an example of humility for us by washing His disciples’ feet.
John 13:13-15 Ye call Me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another’s feet. For I HAVE GIVEN YOU AN EXAMPLE, that ye should do as I have done to you.
• LORD JESUS, forgive me for being so proud a person. Please give me the grace to humble myself before my brethren. I can no longer think of myself as better than anyone of them. Even while I reign with You, teach me to live every day with that graceful humility You exemplified.
DAY 2—Even while in the sorrow of His betrayal, Jesus taught His disciples to love.
John 13:34,35 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. BY THIS SHALL ALL MEN KNOW THAT YE ARE MY DISCIPLES, ye have love one to another.
• DEAR LORD, I have to admit there are some people easier to love than others. Please work in me the ability to love people that are not lovable. Give me the faith to know that if I love them it will make them lovable. And, LORD, let these people see You in me—enough that they will want to know You when I witness to them.
DAY 3—The most self-confident of us could be the closest to falling.
John 13:36-38 Simon Peter said unto Him, Lord, whither goest Thou? (where are You going?) Jesus answered him, Whither I go, thou canst not follow Me now; but thou shalt follow Me afterwards. Peter said unto him, LORD, WHY CANNOT I FOLLOW THEE NOW? I will lay down my life for thy sake. Jesus answered him, Wilt thou lay down thy life for My sake? Verily, verily, I say unto thee, The cock shall not crow, till thou hast denied Me thrice (three times).
• LORD, please help me not be overconfident. I want to be strong in knowing You, but not to the point that I step over into prideful self-confidence. Teach me, even in my weakness, how to rely on the strength You are giving to us who believe.
IN HIS LAST GREAT TEACHING BEFORE HE WENT TO THE CROSS, JESUS LAID OUT VALUABLE PRINCIPLES BY WIUCH WE WILL LIVE IN HIS KINGDOM. As we let these principles to work in us, they will draw us on to behave as sons and daughters in God's household of faith.
DAY 4—It is the desire of the Lord Jesus that we live in the place He has prepared for us.
John 14:1-3 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father’s house (seat of government) are many mansions (dwelling places): if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; THAT WHERE I AM, THERE YE MAY BE ALSO.
• LORD, I love You, and I want to be with You, where You are. I am learning that You are seated at the right hand of our Father. Strengthen my heart and mind to know that I am with You there, along with others who know You. Show in us the strength, love and power of Your Kingdom.
Jesus taught the way to reigning in life with Him is through death to ourselves—John 12:23-33
DAY 5—It is very clear; there is only ONE WAY to the Father’s right hand.
John 14:4-6 And whither (where) I go ye know, and the way ye know. Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither Thou goest (where You are going); and how can we know the way? Jesus saith unto him, I AM THE WAY, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me.
• O, LORD JESUS, what great love You have shown to us sinners! You are the Way for us out of this dark alley! You have become the Truth for us when deception is all around us! You have become our Life! Hallelujah!
DAY 6—If we know Jesus, we know the Father.
John 14:7-9 If ye had known Me, ye should have known My Father also: and from henceforth ye know Him, and have seen Him. Philip saith unto Him, Lord, show us the Father, and it sufficeth us. Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known Me, Philip? HE THAT HATH SEEN ME HATH SEEN THE FATHER; and how sayest thou then, Show us the Father?
• FATHER, I want to lay myself in Your arms. There are things demanded of me today that I cannot face alone. Oh, LOVING GOD, I can face them if I am with You! My close Friend! My Resource for living! Oh, You are my life!
DAY 7—If we know Jesus, we know the Father.
John 14:10,11 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of Myself but the Father that dwelleth in Me, HE DOETH THE WORKS. Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me: or else believe Me for the very works’ sake.
• DEAR JESUS, what a revelation of the Father You are! So humble! So pure! So near! You show us the way to true holiness. You teach us what love is all about. Continue Your work in me, in us, today. Bring us out of empty religion to become true sons and daughters in Your Kingdom.
DAY 8—Here is one of His greatest promises.
John 14:12,13 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on Me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto My Father. And WHATSOEVER YE SHALL ASK IN MY NAME, THAT WILL I DO, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
• LORD JESUS, help us here believe what You promised. Our reach, our praying, our worship has been too small. Move on us who come together in Your Name. Let us know You intimately and with grand assurance. Manifest Your grace and Your power in us. Oh, it must be by grace!
DAY 9—When we know Jesus intimately, praying takes on the simplicity of asking, a kind of asking that will not be denied.
John 14:14 If ye shall ASK ANY THING in My Name, I will do it. John 15:7 If ye abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ye shall ASK WHAT YE WILL, and it shall be done unto you. John 16:23 And in that day ye shall ask Me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ASK THE FATHER IN MY NAME, He will give it you.
• FATHER, what shall I ask? Oh, I will ask for a heart more pure, that I might love more purely. I ask for a spirit more pure that I might know You more surely. I ask for understanding that Your Word might stay with me when I go from this place. Oh, Father, teach me to pray, —without ceasing!
DAY 10—Jesus challenged His disciples regarding their love for Him.
John 14:15 If ye love Me, keep My Commandments. I John 2:4,5 He that saith, I know Him, and keepeth not His Commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But WHOSO KEEPETH HIS WORD, IN HIM VERILY IS THE LOVE OF GOD PERFECTED: hereby know we that we are in Him
• FATHER, You have a kind of love that’s difficult for me—an unconditional love. Sometimes I think I might have it, but then someone does something I don’t like, and before I know it, my love is gone. Oh, please work on me! It may be painful, but I say I want this love. Even if I can’t mean it yet completely, do the work in me anyway.
JESUS PROMISED HIS DISCIPLES HE WOULD NOT LEAVE THEM AS ORPHANS. He would send the Holy Spirit. The promise is to us who live today. When God’s Spirit comes into us, He bears His testimony in us. And we bear our testimony in the world.
DAY 11—This ranks close to the highest promise ever made by anyone to anyone.
John 14:16,17 And I will pray the Father, and HE SHALL GIVE YOU ANOTHER COMFORTER (a “paraclete,” an advocate, an intercessor) that He may abide with you for ever; even the Spirit of truth; Whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth Him not neither knoweth Him: but ye know Him; for He dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
• FATHER, right now, I open my whole being to Your Spirit. Let Him move through me and search me. Let Him find any and every offensive thing and burn it up like trash. Work in me till there is no ground left that would be pleasing to the enemy. Then, let Your Spirit fill me, to overflowing.
DAY 12—When God’s Spirit is in us, we discover a glorious union with Him and Jesus.
John 14:18-20 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. Yet a little while, and the world sees Me no more; but you see Me: because I live, you shall live also. At that day YOU SHALL KNOW that I AM IN MY FATHER, and YOU (are) IN ME, and I (am) IN YOU.
• FATHER, now I see how our togetherness with the Lord Jesus and You becomes a reality. A glorious reality! Your Spirit makes it so. My mind cannot fathom this, but my spirit is beginning to know it. Oh, let this understanding run through all my being! Let it bring influence to all my life.
DAY 13—One not indwelt by God’s Spirit cannot understand the things of His Spirit.
John 14:21,22 He that hath My Commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth Me: and HE THAT LOVETH ME SHALL BE LOVED OF MY FATHER, AND I WILL LOVE HIM, AND WILL MANIFEST MYSELF TO HIM. Judas saith unto Him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that Thou wilt manifest Thyself unto us, and not unto the world?
• FATHER, Your Son is making Himself known to me! There are things I don’t yet understand. But, I know You are drawing me on, and on, toward knowing Your Kingdom. Oh, I praise You! Now, please embrace with Your love these I name.
DAY 14—Jesus taught He and His Father would dwell in those who guard His words.
John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love Me, he will keep My words: and My Father will love him, and WE WILL COME UNTO HIM, AND MAKE OUR ABODE WITH HIM. Isaiah 57:15 For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, Whose name is Holy; I DWELL IN THE HIGH AND HOLY PLACE, WITH HIM ALSO THAT IS OF A CONTRITE AND HUMBLE SPIRIT, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.
• DEAR GOD, the glorious mystery of Who You are and where You are is being solved in my own mind and heart. You have become so real to me that I now know You are here with me, and I am with you. I no longer wonder where You are. Oh, loving Father, I love You! I love You! I love You!
—I John 4:15,16
DAY 15—When Jesus taught, He exemplified a glorious togetherness with His Father.
John 14:24 He that loveth Me not keepeth not My sayings: and THE WORD WHICH YE HEAR IS NOT MINE, BUT THE FATHER’S WHICH SENT ME.
John 5:19 Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He seeth the Father do: for what things soever He doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.
• DEAR LORD, what a revelation You were! You revealed the Father. I thank You that You have brought me to know Him. I am learning to dwell in His secret place. Oh, meet with me there!
DAY 16—The Holy Spirit coming within us will be our blessed Teacher.
John 14:25,26 These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you. But THE COMFORTER, Who is the Holy Spirit, Whom the Father will send in My Name, He SHALL TEACH YOU ALL THINGS, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
• DEAR FATHER, everyday the Holy Spirit is making Your Word come alive to me. I praise You for this. Please help me walk in the reality of what He is revealing to me. Let my life become a revelation of Your grace and peace. Help me live in a way that will make others want to know You.
Whoever denies the Lord Jesus knows not the Father—l John 2:18-29
DAY 17—Precious Jesus gives His disciples peace.
John 14:27,28 Peace I leave with you, MY PEACE I GIVE UNTO YOU: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved Me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I GO UNTO THE FATHER: for My Father is greater than I.
• GRACIOUS LORD, I praise You for the peace that has come over my soul. Day by day it increases. It is so wonderful just to know You are giving it to me. I will let nothing take it from me. And I praise You also for the wisdom and understanding You are giving me. Precious Lord!
Peace was one of the last gifts Jesus imparted before He returned to His Father—John 20:19-22
DAY 18—Jesus warned His disciples that they would face the prince of this world.
John 14:29,30 And now I have told you before it come to pass, that, when it is come to pass, ye might believe. Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for THE PRINCE OF THIS WORLD COMETH, AND HATH NOTHING IN ME.
• FATHER, please prepare us to withstand the prince of this world. Let the Spirit of revelation work in us as You teach us more about the authority You are giving us. Let us see the promised outpouring of Your Spirit for the latter day.
We will not be like those whose understanding is darkened—Ephesians 4:17-20
DAY 19—Jesus set the clear example for us in obeying His Father.
John 14:31 But that the world may know that I love the Father; and AS THE FATHER GAVE ME COMMANDMENT—EVEN SO I DO. Arise, let us go hence.
• GREAT SAVIOR AND LORD, what a salvation You won for us, sinners all! I love You. I worship You and I want to live out my life in obedience to You. Even if I must suffer, I want to be made perfect for Your eternal Kingdom.
We are looking unto Jesus, the Author and the Finisher of our faith—Hebrews 12:1-4
© Berean Ministries
P.O. Box 38
Elk Park, NC 28622-0038
Visit Us at http://www.maschil.com